Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    turtlegirl Posts: 151, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2005, 01:45 PM
    Misused words
    When is it appropriate to correct someone who uses words incorrectly, or not words at all, like regardless? For example, what if someone says, "Wow, it's so random to see you here" at a bar that you both often go to in your neighborhood. That's not what random means. Or should I sit idly by while Americans become more and more stupid? That just BUGS me!
    serialwife Posts: 117, Reputation: 16

Jun 19, 2005, 03:31 PM
    While regardless may not be proper English it is a recognized word. It is one of those great words that we Americans have bastardized over the generations. You can spend your time correcting others or you can just ignore them. How drunk is the 'random' person when they are talking about the situation being random? If people don't understand that they are misusing the words they are probably not going to understand the explanation you are giving as to why they are wrong. Teach your children proper English and let the rest of society slide.
    turtlegirl Posts: 151, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2005, 07:00 AM
    It probably makes a difference that I'm an English teacher. :(

A girl can't take a random guy to the prom. You can't bring a random poem in to class. That's just not what random means.

And -- hey, I'm a snob here -- regardless is NOT a word. This from dictionary.com:

ir·re·gard·less ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-gärdls)
    adv. Nonstandard
    Regardless.
    [Probably blend of irrespective, and regardless.]
    Usage Note: Regardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

I'm not going to run around correcting people, believe me. Just a pet peeve and I was wondering if anyone shared it. Thanks!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2005, 05:49 AM
    Correcting others
    Hi,
    A "pet peeve" can turn into something other than that, if you let it. Don't worry about others' use of the English language. Live your own life, and let them live theirs.
    In the classroom, you are the "queen", so to say. It's your call.
    Outside the classroom, you are just another citizen, and you cannot correct the whole world.
    Live and let live.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    serialwife Posts: 117, Reputation: 16

Jun 22, 2005, 06:05 PM
    I used to be a person who got extremely annoyed at ignorance and stupidity. Then I became a social worker and learned tolerance. You should hear some of the explanations and words that are misused in my line of work. Personally, I find it admirable that you are a teacher! Please tell me you are correcting the phenomenon that requires 15 year old girl to say " Whatever" and the word "like" before everything they say.
    karma Posts: 33, Reputation: 3

Jul 10, 2005, 05:55 AM
    Re:words
    I am a college student that is dating a man that never finished high school. I was brought up being taught never to correct someone when they speak, because it is rude. Since I have been with Johnny, he has asked me to correct him. I choose my times, like when we are not in front of others, where it would be embarrassing for him. If it is someone that you speak to often that constantly messes up our language, ask them if they would mind if you corrected them. One thing that affects correct language usage, as I have learned with my boyfriend, is if english wasn't their primary language. Then they have the tendency to guess. I hate the missuse of words and I used to take it badly, but would never say anything. I have learned tolerance though. When I was in high school, grammar and new vocabulary were not often taught. They expect you to have already learned these things, and only reading great authors has become a much too common practice of almost all high school english teachers, in my experience. These authors should be taught, and proper english can be learned from them, but too often students overlook that aspect as do teachers. They talk about "what the author was trying to convey" and rarely include how the author correctly used the english language. I am very thankful I had a teacher my sophomore year who felt grammar and proper word usage were paramount. My father was a linguist, so that may also put me in a biased position, but you are not alone! By the way, could you correct anything I have missed in this letter? I would appreciate it!
    -A fellow lover of the english language.

P.S. You are not sitting idly by! You are an english teacher. What more could you do that could possible change the way people speak then to teach them when they are required to listen. :)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2005, 09:55 AM
    It is a name you would recognize if I could remember it. Whoever it was, he compared misusing his words to misusing a carpenter's tools. Let him catch you prying the lid off a can of paint with his chisel, and he may use his mallet for other than its intended use.

However, any corrections need to be private and gentle.
    artistall Posts: 88, Reputation: 5

Jul 11, 2005, 03:49 PM
    Git'er Done!!
    Hey! DonChewKnoDatSumFokesTawkOuttaWak?

Hey! FaGettaBouDit!

Really! All joking aside I feel the same sometimes when I'm out and about. I hear people say the most peculiar words and phrases. Sometimes I'll politely correct them and sometimes I feel that it really wouldn't have any long lasting effect so I'll just keep it to myself. If people were really concerned with pronunciation they wouldn't be offended. But let me tell you a story!!

Several years ago I stopped in a small convenience store and ordered their great tasting hamburger combo! However, while I was waiting I noticed the sign by the fried Ocra read; "Fried Orca". I knew the people weren't too bright so I approached the woman and very politely pointed out the misspell error. She turned to her husband the cook to tell him and he adamantly denied that is was wrong! He gave me quite the look! The next time I went in to order a hamburger it turned out to be one of the worst hamburgers I have ever had in my entire life!

Moral: "Don't Correct The Hand That Feeds You"!!

Have a Great Day!

PS: Could you check this reply for any gramatical errors?? Ha Ha!
    BSN22 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2005, 06:45 PM
    It's frustrating but let it go
    You simply can not effectively use your time correcting the whole world. Do your part: teach your own children proper english. Correct them so that they will not be part of the group that bothers you so.

As for the rest of the world, if they choose to be stupid, you can choose not to talk to them... :rolleyes:
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jul 19, 2005, 09:00 PM
    I think it is important in this situation to differentiate between the use of slang and the (unintentional) use of poor grammar.

"Wow, it's so random to see you here" is really a use of slang rather than an unintentional misuse of words. The speaker is probably completely aware that the words he or she is uttering do not form a grammatically correct sentence. Bear that in mind. Should said person sit down and write out these thoughts, the result would probably be a grammatically correct _written_ sentence.

On the other hand, we have people like our old friend mike145k, who deserve all the flames you can throw at them. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Misused words [ 9 Answers ]

How can you create a strategy for remembering how these words should be used? Since and sense, affect and effect :rolleyes:

In 5 Words or less: What are you? [ 145 Answers ]

I'm just curious. I know a few of you but not many. I'm not looking for debate or comment, just wondering... Me: Ecumenical Evangelical Roman Catholic Christian

Words of wisdom... [ 4 Answers ]

When I was 15yrs in 1999, a song was release called 'Sunscreen'. At the time it did not really mean much to me or have much of an impact. I heard it for the first time since 1999 last night and the words had so much of an impact on me I just had to share it with you guys. It bought tears to my...

The spelling of words [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. Here is something that has been on my mind these last few days. I was hoping someone who knew this could be of assistance. In Canada/UK, we spell it colour. The Americans spell it color. In Canada, we spell it centre. The Americans spell it center. In Canada, we spell it...

Words in the Bible [ 4 Answers ]

There are roughly 177,00 words in the King James Version of the Bible. Of these words 12,000 of them differ from each other.. Given that, according to linguists, a normally educated person uses a vocabulary that has about 5,000 words and a well-educated person knows about 10,000 words, it could...

View more questions Search