Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    OverItAll Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2005, 12:58 PM
    Vent, Block or What?
    Hi, seeking advise on bathroom drain problem for my old P&B home. Tub and toilet back up and drain slowly. To date, I've tried unblocking chemicles, pulled the toilet and ran a heavy duty tape over 30' down the line. I also rain small snake down sink and tub. The kitchen and laundry both drain perfectly. Reading up on your forum I considered this may be vent problem as the toilet gurgles and bilges air, then goes dry. I ran water hose down vent line on roof containing standing water, which causes both tub and toilet to fill. Running further test, I filled tub and sink and then released sink drain, this caused tub to bubble up. Seems I obviously have vent problem if not more. What can I do to clear up the vent problem. I've only entered the line through toilet thus far. Only place else I see to attempt is perhaps a rubber connection under house, around 10' up from bathroom, where (bathoom) PVC main drain line connects to the old cast iron. Am I spinning my wheels with this, considering I already rain 30' of snake coming through the Toilet Drain? Thanks for any advice.
    I'm truly,
    OverItAll
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 20, 2005, 06:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by OverItAll
    Hi, seeking advise on bathroom drain problem for my old P&B home. Tub and toilet back up and drain slowly. To date, I've tried unblocking chemicles, pulled the toilet and ran a heavy duty tape over 30' down the line. I also rain small snake down sink and tub. The kitchen and laundry both drain perfectly. Reading up on your forum I considered this may be vent problem as the toilet gurgles and bilges air, then goes dry. I ran water hose down vent line on roof containing standing water, which causes both tub and toilet to fill. Running further test, I filled tub and sink and then released sink drain, this caused tub to bubble up. Seems I obviously have vent problem if not more. What can I do to clear up the vent problem. I've only entered the line through toilet thus far. Only place else I see to attempt is perhaps a rubber connection under house, around 10' up from bathroom, where (bathoom) PVC main drain line connects to the old cast iron. Am I spinning my wheels with this, considering I already rain 30' of snake coming through the Toilet Drain? Thanks for any advice.
    I'm truly,
    OverItAll

Your explanation, "the toilet gurgles and bilges air, then goes dry. I ran water hose down vent line on roof containing standing water, which causes both tub and toilet to fill. Running further test, I filled tub and sink and then released sink drain, this caused tub to bubble up."

If you have standing water in the vent and running water down it causes the tub and toilet to fill would indicate that the vent's clear and there's a blockage downstream. Also, " I filled tub and sink and then released sink drain, this caused tub to bubble up".
    This indicates a blockage in the drain line and not the vent. Are you on a septic system or city sewer? Have you snaked from the roof vent yet? Have you opened a outside cleanout and checked to see if the line's loaded with water? What kind of snake did you run down the open closet bend for 30 feet. Small, large? Perhaps your problem lies out further then 30 feet. The one thing I'm sure of is that you have a partial blockage in your systems drainage. It doesn't sound like a vent problem to me. Regards, Tom
    techboy Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2005, 08:05 AM
    I had this same problem, and it ended up being that my line out to my tank was partially blocked by tree roots. Also had a house in the city that had the same problem, tree roots as well. Had to call roto rooter.. That was a couple of years ago, now I just put copper sulfate in the line once a year and I am good.

Also, if you have a septic tank, make sure it's not full..

Jun 22, 2005, 10:40 AM
    Thanks for responses. I'm on city sewer.
    Tom, I didn't snake vent, although I'm under house now and into the 4" main line just before tree connecting everything (john, tub, sink, vent). I'm using heavy tape. I can only go so far down main which then stops now being around 25'. I keep assuming and from sounds think it's simply at a 90 that I'm unable to push tape around... (but mostly due to my movement limitations)... thoughts?
    Agreed, I feel sure now I'm simply dealing with blockage upstream, although I'm puzzled as the kitchen drain is fine and comes into the main around area which my tape ends (I think my tape is actually past the kitchen drain, although exhausted last night I left tape in line and havent't measured off yet... will do that just shortly) I can hear water in line when I'm pushing tape so know I have standing water in line. Does this further indicate blockage ahead?
    Outside Cleanout... that would be nice. Not that I have the money for this, but seems my only solution now is to call plumber and have them install a cleanout so I'm not in this predicament again.
    Is this my best option? Is there any preferred place I should request cleanout to be placed? Thanks tremendously for the comments and advice.
    George
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 22, 2005, 03:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by OverItAll
    Thanks for responses. I'm on city sewer.
    Tom, I didn't snake vent, although I'm under house now and into the 4" main line just before tree connecting everything (john, tub, sink, vent). I'm using heavy tape. I can only go so far down main which then stops now being around 25'. I keep assuming and from sounds think it's simply at a 90 that I'm unable to push tape around...(but mostly due to my movement limitations)... thoughts?
    Agreed, I feel sure now I'm simply dealing with blockage upstream, although I'm puzzled as the kitchen drain is fine and comes into the main around area which my tape ends (I think my tape is actually past the kitchen drain, although exhausted last night I left tape in line and havent't measured off yet... will do that just shortly) I can hear water in line when I'm pushing tape so know I have standing water in line. Does this further indicate blockage ahead?
    Outside Cleanout... that would be nice. Not that I have the money for this, but seems my only solution now is to call plumber and have them install a cleanout so I'm not in this predicament again.
    Is this my best option? Is there any preferred place I should request cleanout to be placed? Thanks tremendously for the comments and advice.
    George

Hey Geroge,

With a partial clog you would still drain a small amount of discharge OK. However, when a large discharge, such as a flush, hits the clog it would bounce back and send a bubble of air back up the line. You're "rodding the sewer instead of "snaking" it? I suggest renting a Ridgid K-60 sewer machine.
    My bet is that you didn't run out enough tape. Most clogs will be found near a tree or at the street raiser where the house connects to the city sewer at the curb. This would be a good place to start. By code you should have a cleanout installed. Code calls for a cleanout to be installed not over 18 inches off the foundation of your house. What is a P&B house? Cheers, Tom

Jun 23, 2005, 11:00 AM
    Thanks Tom. Haha, sorry my fingers get to hurt from carpultunnel, so I'm just speaking of Pier and Beam. I'm not exactly sure where my main goes out to the street, so am currently unearthing line from kitchen which seems to hit via a diagonal into main that must then proceed to street hitting city sewer. I'm uncertain on much, as you can tell, although my thinking is the line goes from my laundry in detached garage, then follows along driveway catching the bathroom from underhouse via a T at main line (which I feel must be the clog I'm unable to get through via "rodding"), then must catch kitchen coming in at the diagonal that I am unearthing, and proceeds to street. I surmise, since the kitchen and laundry drain perfectly, they both directly connect to the main part of line, as only long offshoot seems to be the bathoom. No trees or anything if my description holds true to fact. The city, troubleshooting their own problems after previous city line and street repairs, once asked if I had separate connections and could not tell me exactly where I came into city sewer. I now feel certain where the block is to be found (before main line @ T connecting bathoom) and feel that's where I would like cleanout since it's also close by house as you advise code requires. I'm out again to finish unearthing kitchen line attempting to find main. Just wondering if in fact I might have 2 lines conecting to city, is this feasible or likely, this home being initially built in the 20's or somewhere about, with additions over the years? I'm ready for some cheers, this already now filling 2 weeks of my life (wife about to move). I'm digging today and have plumber scheduled tomorrow to intall cleanout unless some majic happens today. My sincear appreciation for all the guidance and advice.
    George
    1998chevy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2005, 11:39 AM
    I had a similar problem but it was the city's manhole was full. Everything drained fine except for the tiolet and washer. The washer over flowed and shorted out the dryer plug. We were lucky.

It sounds like you have a partial blockage or sewer would back into the house. Mine did not because we have a conventional foundation.

Rotor rooter can fix it. I would install the clean out. LOL I have none either.

Jun 23, 2005, 07:48 PM
    Likewise here, the city manholes were full on our street resulting in several nearby homes having problems. My introduction was my laundry overflowing at drain pipe while my bathroom and kitchen were fine. Seems the company contracted to do this work failed in some of the home connections. This was around 6 months ago when this occurred. Several of my neighbors totally redid their plumbing before we figured our the real problem. The city was coming out daily to pump out the manhole in front of my home. My first thought with my current problem being this again was the city. However upon them coming out, which I've gotten to know them well from months of dealing with past problem, they couldn't do anything since I didn't have a cleanout. I've dug up the line which I have problem at the T going into my main line. I hope to have a cleaout installed tomorrow. I noticed a few roots around the 90 going down to the T at main, so feel that may be the culprit after all as several have suggested.
    George

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Laundry Pump vent hookup. How? - no vent access [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Laundry Tray Pump System connected to my wash tub in my fifteen year old townhome's basement. I was recently informed that it was not properly installed because I never connected the vent pipe from the pump. I had some one look at it and was told that the house's vent system (which...

My Mental Block [ 2 Answers ]

What's up, Im a Sophomore in high school, and I'm in high jump right now and the state tourny is right around the corner, does anybody know how I can go just 3 or 4 more inchees higher. I have been going 6 3 all year but there is a mental block after that, what are some tips for me to get that...

Block MSN Messenger [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to stop MSN messenger from working on a PC? I have found many articles that say they can stop it but they only seem to stop Windows Messenger. I know I can just uninstall it but then it can just as easily be re-installed. I would also prefer to be able to block it without...

New kid on the block [ 11 Answers ]

I have been asked to come over here and check this site out by one of you, and so I am here. Some of you know me, some don't. I am not here to argue with anyone. I don't want to banter or name call or any of the other childish things I've experienced on other sites such as this. I love our Lord...

Block Web page [ 8 Answers ]

I have tried to block a web page by going to Start Run & then Notepad c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\Hosts Then I hit enter then typed 127.0.0.1 entered the web page as hi5.com But it won't let me save. Any advice. :rolleyes:

View more questions Search