Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    corriehac Posts: 87, Reputation: -1

Jun 24, 2007, 05:16 PM
    Central air is freezing up
    My air conditioning keeps freezing up. There is ice all over it . It doesn't cool the house when it does this , and I have to shut it down to defrost it. It is central heat and air. I live in fla and it is very hot here.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2007, 05:32 PM
    3 things cause it to freeze up. 1) lack of airflow. Are the coils clean. Is the filter clean and installed properly? Are both the fans operating properly? 2) low on refrigerant. You will need a quilified tech to check this. 3)a restriction. You will need a quilified tech to check this as well.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jun 24, 2007, 06:50 PM
    The esquire1 is correct. I, too, live in Fla, and just went though the same thing. The evap core was corroded and leaked until the compressor on the outside unit seized. The entire system was contaminated by the acid created. The entire system got replace a few weeks ago. I smile every time I open my electric bill ( the new unit is much more efficient and so much quieter ) It's hard to not love a Trane!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central air freezing [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Maytag Central air unit. It keeps freezing up from the unit to the hose that comes into the house.

Central Air Freezing up [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Payne central air unit. One of the lines are freezing up evry time I turn it on. I was told the freon is fine. Any suggestions?

Central air freezing [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, We are having a problem with the a/c pipe freezing when the air is on. It starts from the cental air unit all the way to the furnace. We had a repairman look at it and he said there was a slow leak, but nothing to worry about. Can anyone help?

Central heat freezing up [ 5 Answers ]

My central heat runs for about 8 hours and thin freezes up with about 3 inches of ice around the whole thing

Central unit freezing up [ 3 Answers ]

Our central unit out side frost over when the temp outside get below 35 degrees we have tried to just turn on the fan but you have to have the heat on for the fan to work can you tell what's going on

View more questions Search