Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Jun 18, 2005, 10:18 PM
    Install good Win95 on another computer
    Have an Acer computer with Win95 that has something wrong with it on the computer currently. Was just given a new Win95 disc with license. Would appreciate step by step instructions on how to wipe off the current Win95 and install the good one from scratch so nothing remains from the old win95 software at all to screw up the new software. Computer only has 32mb. Thx for the help.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 19, 2005, 04:32 AM
    You need to reformat the computer which will wipe everything off it. Before doing that you need to make sure you have drivers for all your hardware and the install files for all your software. Drivers can be obtained at manufacturer's websites. If you need to know what hardware is on the system I suggest www.belarc.com/download.htm.

One you have everything you need, you need to have a system floppy. If the Win 95 is on CD, this floppy needs your CD drivers as well as FDisk and Format. Test the floppy by booting with it and seeing if it can read the CD. If you need a boot floppy go to bootdisk.com.

Once eveything is tested, boot to the floppy and at the A: prompt Run Fdisk if you want to repartition. Or just run Format to reformat the drive. Make sure you run Format C: /S to copy the system files. From there run SETUP from the CD and follow the onscreen prompts.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2005, 06:03 AM
    Format
    Hi,
    Here are step by step instructions on how to Format the drive. But, you do need a Boot Disk (floppy) to do it.

Turn off the computer.
    Insert the Boot Floppy Disk into the Floppy Drive (A Drive), then turn on the computer.

Wait until it comes up to the A:> prompt.
    We must do do an "FDISK", which will delete and re-create a DOS partition for the Full Version.

At the A:\ prompt Type: FDISK and press ENTER.
    Press ENTER to select Large Disk Support.
    Select Option 3, Delete partition or Logical DOS drive. (whatever option # this is)
    Select Extended Partion, then
    Delete Extended partition.
    Select delete Primary DOS Partition.
    Press ESC.
    Select Create Primary DOS Partition.
    Choose Yes to use maximum size.(100%)
    Press ENTER when prompted for a Volume Label.
    When Back at the FDISK Menu, select Set Active Partition.
    Press ESC on the keyboard.

Now, if you wish to format the hard drive, then:
    Re-boot and,
    At the A:> prompt, type in FORMAT C: /S
    It will look like A:>FORMAT C: /S
    (The /S will copy system files to the harddrive).
    When it finishes formatting, then go to the next steps.

Best wishes,
    fredg
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 19, 2005, 06:18 PM
    Lady,
    You do NOT need to do an FDISK as Fred mistakenly tells you unless you want to repartition the drive. An FDISK will do a more complete wipe of the hard drive, but I don't think that's necessary in this case.

If you want to repartition, you can follow Fred's FDISK instructions, but that's up to you. As to the rest of his answer, its just a repeat of what I already told you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Please help computer not feeling good [ 3 Answers ]

please excuse me I'm kind of new at this, ran hijack this and these are the results thanking those who help in advance Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 4:32:57 PM, on 10/11/2005 Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106) Running...

Need Help with Win95&98 [ 9 Answers ]

This would help if u worked for Microsoft at the time but I am openfor anything I need to know why when I go to install win95 it works good until after the license agreement is signed then a black screen appears then with win98 after it prepares for setup it goes to ready my floppy drive when I am...

Installing win95 on a re-formatted HD [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, so here's the problem: I just got an HD from a friend, it's an OLD one and I just completely reformatted it. I want to install Windows 95 on it, I have the disk and everything, but I can't install because it says it can't install under NT (I have XP). I want to install 95 on the HD I just got,...

Networking Win95 and Win XP Pro [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to network a win95 computer and a computer running windows xp pro. I have a high speed connection (dsl) and a linksys router. It is not a wireless router. I have a brand new ethernet card on the win 95 computer. I connected the computer on 95 sand the router and the link was detected...

Upgrade to WIN98 from WIN95 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there How do I upgrade from WIN95 to WIN98 using clean Install CD for WIN98 without formating the HDD, if I use WIN98 clean install CD I get message ask me to use upgrate version of WIN98 (I don`t have WIN98 upgrate CD), how do I bypass this message? Regards Nnn22

View more questions Search