Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    project lover Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2007, 12:03 PM
    Tieing in a backup sump pump to existing copper discharge pipe
    Does anyone know if I can tie in a backup sump pump into an existing copper discharge pipe of 1.5 inches. The back up pump comes with a "y" connector made of PVC. How do I connect the PVC connector into the copper discharge pipe? Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 24, 2007, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by project lover
    does anyone know if i can tie in a backup sump pump into an existing copper discharge pipe of 1.5 inches. The back up pump comes with a "y" connector made of PVC. How do I connect the PVC connector into the copper discharge pipe? Thanks.
    Yes we can tell you how to connect but first you're going to hafta give us a little more then the bare bones. What fitting's on the end of the copper pipe or is it bare? If there's a fitting is it male or female? What size is the Wye? Any fittings on that? What's the wye connected to at the present time? If you removed the wye what would be left? Let's have as many details as you can give us. Regards, Tom
    project lover Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2007, 11:34 AM
    Thanks for getting back to me! The copper discharge pipe is 1.5 inch and is bare. The existing assembly is a zoeller sump exiting directly outside on that copper pipe. I am evaluating back up emergency systems. Any experience with ace in the hole vs. basement watchdog vs. zoeller backup systems? So the answer to your other question about the PVC "Y" is I'm not sure if there are male or female connectors on that piece, just that I would need to tie that "Y" into existing bare copper 1.5 inch discharge pipe. I hope that provides enough answers. I'm looking to do whatever makes the most sense to tie in that PVC "Y" into copper bare pipe with the best/ tightest connection. Also, what system has given you the best and longest use with your expertise! Thank you so much.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 26, 2007, 12:01 PM
    I can help with the pipe connections but you have got a Gulf Coast plumber that hasn't see a basement in over 50 years so I haven't any experience with sump pumps outside of the sump pump we used to have in our basement back in Wisconsin. Now answer my questions. Why must there be a wye on the discharge side of the pump? Can it be removed and if so what will be left? I'm thinking, one pipe out of the pump connecting to the copper line. Am I missing something here? Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sump pump [ 10 Answers ]

I recently bought a new house and was wondering if the sump pump draining into the main drain instead of on its own drain to outside the house is a problem? I have never had a sump pump before and was curious because we get a sewage smell inside our bathroom every once in awhile on the first floor...

Sump pump, discharge drain and city drain [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - I've 2 problems. Problem 1: When it rains, there seem to be a lot of water discharging out from the overflow pipe of my sump pump plumbing on the outside. According to a neighbor, he says it looks like the water is just coming out from the overflow pipe whenever it rains. I've lived...

Improper venting, backup from sump pump to vent pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Help! We moved into an old house, our plumbing vent is about 4 ft. from basement floor. Every time we use kitchen sink or bathtub, it backs up into vent pipe. Also, our sump pump backs up into vent. We have tried to snake it and also poured drain cleaner down every drain. I know the vent should be...

A/C not cooling, Small Copper pipe COLD and Large Copper pipe room temp. [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into a newly constructed townhome and the a/c units are of course new. The A/c is not cooling at all. The machine inside turns on as well as the one outside. The inside A/C makes a strange sucking sound kind of like if you were sipping something out of a cup with a straw and you ran...

Tapping PVC into existing Copper [ 2 Answers ]

Hi There- I am installing a new heat pump for my pool and have a question with the plumbing. I have an old gas heater that I would like to keep for standby that used 1" copper plumbing. Does anyone know how I can tap into the copper output line with the 1-1/2" PCV output line from the heat...

View more questions Search