Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2007, 11:30 AM
    Coon Hound with older dogs and cats
    It is site policy to answer questions in the public forum
    Quote Originally Posted by curlybenswife
    .... Can i ask you a dog question though?? my friend in utah is seriously looking into adopting a coonhound, she lives in a large house with masses of land so thats not really the problem but do you know if they are adjustable to other animals she has two older dogs (i mean real old) and 3 cats now the cats wouldnt have contact with the dog but obviously the dogs gonna sense them through smell im just concerned it will stress her two oldies out they are such dear old souls and her late husbands pets i know it would destroy her if she got the coon and it upset the other two.
    She has spoken to her vet and he knows the dogs well and seems to think it would be cool but arent they quite noisey dogs???
    There are those that would go to a breed description and insist the Coon Hound would be just like it. Yes, many of a breed do have the behaviors the breed is known for. Many do not. Froggy's Greyhound seems to be a much better match for him than my S&S Dog Guide suggests it would be.

So a Coon Hound may or may not be a good choice. If she is looking at a specific one, She needs to find out if it sees cats as lunch. There is also the matter of sex. What are the existing dogs? Adding a third female could be asking for trouble. If the old dogs are the same sex, adding one of the opposite sex could go well. Even 3 of the same sex may be OK as long as no 2 of them have a high dominance drive. If the vet is familiar with all 3 dogs and knows about the cats, I would put substantial weight on his opinion. Typically hounds are barkers.

The old dogs aren't going to like it. My Aster has hated each of the 4 puppies we have added since she came to live with us at 10 years old. She lives with it, even the frequent visitors too, such as the 3 year old hellion this weekend.

If she is just looking for a Coon Hound, I would suggest a rescue. One of the best sources for dogs with a predictable personality is the rescue
    Dogs. These are dogs that lost their home, but were taken into a foster home
    To be retrained as necessary and placed in the right home for them. You may
    Find a rescue near you starting at American Kennel Club - Breed Rescue dog dogs puppy puppies The rescues charge a fee to help cover their expenses, but is much less than the price of a puppy plus all its medical expenses the first year. A good rescue would work with her finding a Coon Hound tolerant of older dogs and cats.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2007, 12:01 PM
    Yes, they are noisy dogs. They have the incredible bay and know how to use it, even if it is only to bay at the squirrels running up and down the trees. If she does not have problems with neighbors, this should be okay. They are great outdoor dogs but rather large to be indoor dogs - that depends on the particular breed.

Congratulations to your friend - coon hounds are energetic dogs.
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2007, 12:19 PM
    American Black and Tan Coonhound Rescue

That's where she has gone and they have contacted her with a adult female dog that will be spayed next week, her other two dogs are old men so to speak and the cats are all boys too.
    She does have two horses in the coral that also makes me wonder the two old dogs take no notice but would a younger femal coon drive them crazy??
    The centre has chosen a perticular girl dog for her that's supposed to be just fine with other cats and dogs. With any luck she will be going into Utah this week to meet the dog in question ill let you know of the outcome.
    Thanks xxx Laura
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2007, 12:43 PM
    Good luck to your friend.
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2007, 01:19 PM
    The old boys may be delighted to have a girl and wring themselves dry on all the trees.
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Giggle now that made me chuckle, if they take to her it would do them the world of good her husband only died just over a year ago and they still pine for him it might well be just what the dr ordered who knows!!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2007, 06:51 AM
    curlybenswife *oops* my sister has horses, mares, studs... etc and she has a variety of dogs, also the neighboring dogs are not kept leashed or fenced and she has never mentioned a problem with the dogs and the horses. They have deer and elk as well on their property. But then all dogs are not the same. A younger dog just might bring some excitement into that family.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2007, 04:55 PM
    Just be aware that coonhounds have a LOT of energy that needs to be adequately channeled. And, if they get loose and hit a trail, you may not ever get them back. We're pretty sure that's how my mom wound up with her Walker coonhound... he showed up at the neighbor's door, and they let my mom have him. The most likely spot he came from is about 10 miles away, and he was app. 6 months old at the time.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2007, 06:47 AM
    Froggy, you are right. Coonhounds need to be on a lead until they are fully trained to know the household and the come command, and even then they may not return to you. They are a breed that follow their noses! If there is a scent that is too good to pass up, they will follow it. Traveling 10 miles is no biggie to a coonhound. I have seen them pop up 50 miles away from where they have disappeard. They are not dogs that naturally stick close to home. They are built for hunting and traveling. And, they do have a major howl and bark built into them! Very sweet and loving dogs, prefer to be with their people than other animals, but still need to be monitored because of their intense hunting instinct. I fostered a 3 legged one for a while and you would never know he was missing a leg if it wasn't so apparent. He was quick as lightening when he found a great smell to chase down!

CBW, another thing your friend needs to be aware of, if she chooses to use a tie-out for the dog, it needs to extend over level ground only. If a coon hound is tied out around a wall with any drop off, and they catch a scent, their instinct to chase is so hardwired, they will hang themselves. Even a tie out on level ground can cause problems because they will pull and pull against it to get to whatever they smell. They ignore the choking pain because their drive to hunt is so intense.
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2007, 07:20 AM
    Good point Ruby. For a long time I tethered my puppies. I moved my wood pile after catching a chained dog on top of it.

I don't want to get into an off topic chained dog debate. I oppose a dog living outside on a chain or being left there unattended.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2007, 07:34 AM
    Me too labman. As a normal every day method, it is cruel and I see too much of it in the area I live. I do "tie out" my dogs off the porch & in the yard with me whenever I am gardening or working outside. If I am not fostering, I use a very long lead on my dog so I can step on it if she decides to wander or takes off. They like lying around in the sun and being close to me but I can't allow them free roam because of all the wonderful scents and animals running around. Give a coonhound, beagle, pitbull or most any other dog a turkey, squirrel, chipmunk,. walking or flying by, and they will be after it. Whether you are in the city or out in the country as I am, your pets need to be monitored or supervised to keep them safe and out of trouble.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dogs, cats, horses et al [ 8 Answers ]

I don't have any qualifications per se. My only claim to fame over the last few years and having reached the age of 65, that is at least a few, was and is and always will be healthy happy well excersed dogs; dogs that are real walkers because I am too. I don't have a specific breed I have...

Dogs and Cats integration [ 2 Answers ]

I have a dog that is 6-7 years old and two cats one is 5-6 and the other is 13. My cats have been living in our workroom (where all our tools are) and I want to move them into the house but my dog likes to chase cats. Do you think that they will be able to get along soon? :confused:

Dogs and cats repeller what do you have? [ 2 Answers ]

Dogs and cats repeller what do you have?

Why Dogs and Cats are better than Kids [ 6 Answers ]

Why Dogs and Cats are better than Kids They eat less, don't ask for money, whine all the time, are easier to train, usually come when called, never drive your car, don't ever hang out with any drug-using friends, don't smoke or drink, don't wear your clothes, and don't need a gazillion dollars...

List of poisonous foods for cats & dogs [ 8 Answers ]

CAN YOU PLEASE ADD TO THIS LISTING OF POISONOUS FOODS FOR CATS & DOGS WHICH WE MUST NOT FEED THEM AS THEY ARE VERY DANGEROUS? FOR DOGS: CHOCOLATE } GRAPES } including foods that contain them also! RAISINS } FOR CATS: ONIONS } including...

View more questions Search