Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrod8033 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2005, 08:50 PM
    New shower install
    I want to install a shower in a room next to where there is an existing toilet and sink. My question is on venting the new shower. I have access to the basement area, can I hook up the shower drain to the existing sink drain in the basement area. Will this properly vent the new shower? The connection to the existing sink drain area is within 10 feet. I cannot run a new vent to the roof because of the location of this room. Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 19, 2005, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrod8033
    I want to install a shower in a room next to where there is an existing toliet and sink. my question is on venting the new shower. I have access to the basement area, can I hook up the shower drain to the existing sink drain in the basement area. Will this properly vent the new shower? the connection to the existing sink drain area is within 10 feet. I cannot run a new vent to the roof because of the location of this room. Thanks

This is called a "wet vent" and is acceptable. I would strongly suggest making the shower drain line 2" and not 1 1/2". Good luck on your new project. Tom
    jrod8033 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2005, 11:16 PM
    Question
    Thanks Tom for your response, I have another question. I should then use a 2" or larger drain pipe for the new shower and trap, is there a apecific type of tee connection I must use to tie into the existing drain. Also if the drain is within 10 feet of the new shower, what slope do you recommendThanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 20, 2005, 06:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrod8033
    Thanks Tom for your response, I have another question. I should then use a 2" or larger drain pipe for the new shower and trap, is there a apecific type of tee connection I must use to tie into the existing drain. Also if the drain is within 10 feet of the new shower, what slope do you recommendThanks

You asked "is there a apecific type of tee connection I must use to tie into the existing drain. Also if the drain is within 10 feet of the new shower, what slope do you recommend?"

Depending on the angle that you approach from you will use, a wye, or a combination eighth bend and wye,(Combo). /4" to the foot slope is normal but if you're tight on space the 1/8" is acceptable. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

This is how NOT to install shower drain [ 8 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a shower from home depot. When I installed (no previous experience) according to instruction the drain leaked! I tightened, I re-did, I losened.. always leaked. Always leaked around the drain (the abs piping I did was OK, didn't leak, it was the outer shell...

Basement Shower Install [ 4 Answers ]

I have a basement with a rough-in for a 1/2 bath but would like to add a shower. If I use a preform shower can I elevate it so as to put in a trap? Do I even need a trap? If I do need a trap how much space is needed from drain to trap and trap to main line? Also can I utilize the drain pipe for...

How to install a shower/tub on a slab? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1/2 bath in my basement (toilet and sink). House built in 1964. I would like to add a fiberglass shower/tub combo, however, there is no drain for a shower or tub. How difficult is it to cut the slab to allow installation of the drain line? -The shower/tub drain would be 6 ft. from the...

Basement Shower Install [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm installing a bathroom in my basement. It was originally roughed in for a toilet and sink, of course, we want a shower as well. The shower will go close to where an existing floor drain was, so I dug up the floor and took out the old floor drain trap, y'd the line and put in a new...

Best way to install fixed shower head and personal shower [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing a new shower setup. I want to install a fixed shower head as well as a hand held personal shower with hose. On the Kohler website they sell a diverter valve with some sort of backflow valve for this purpose. I have a friend who just had this done and he has no diverter valve just...

View more questions Search