Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mbarros2003 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2007, 05:30 AM
    Collection Agency Froze my bank account.
    Good Day,

Im in desperate need of some help. A collection agency put a judgement against me for $3000 for a credit card debt that I was disputing due to credit card fraud. I lived in New York and my mailbox got hacked. Now all of a sudden I owe a credit card that I never used. A few years back they froze my Chase Account and just went in to take my money, luckily I did not have any money in that particular account. Now they have done the same thing with another account of mine with HSBC bank. Is this legal? Can they continue to just get into my accounts? Isn't htat ilegal? I thought that there was a limit to what amount your wages could be garnished? All of my wages go into the bank because of direct deposit? They never notified me of anything one day all I knew was that I was minus in my account for over $3000 dollars. I never received any summons from them, or any letter stating that I owed any money. It was a just on my credit report. I never received any notification of what was taking place.

My questions are

1. Is that legal? What are my rights?
    2. Can they do this to you without notifying you?
    3. Can they freeze more than one bank account?
    4. will this eventually lead to wage garnishtment?

Im in the process of filing for bankruptcy. Its just a matter of coming up with the money. You know it is funny. The whole reason for applying for bankruptcy is because you are broke, and then you have to find thousands of dollars to pay an attorney to ensure you do it properly.

Can someone please help m e. I am a single mother of 3 children and I cannot afford for them to garnish anything. I am barely making it with what I have and the father of my children does not pay child support. PLEASE HELP
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 24, 2007, 06:16 AM
    Yes, they may continue to attach your bank accounts, this is not a wage garnishment, it is merely an attachment.

So stop your direct deposit, that is you error there, if there is a judgement against you, you never keep money in the bank.

And yes you were aware of the judgement, it is good for 10 years and can be renewed, so that is your notification, they can take your money from your bank anytime they find it. And you would have received notification of the judgement.

Yes, they can freeze and attach every bank account if you have 100 acconts they can do all of them.

Yes, most likely they will garnish your wages at some point.

Child support is another issue, why is he not paying, use your state child support enforcement, take him back to court for contempt,
    jbreaux Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2010, 09:00 PM
    Can collection agency get info on joint bank account if only one has debt in La.
    eilif Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2012, 10:43 AM
    First of all you do not need thousand of dollars to file for bankruptcy. All you have to do is go to a legal stationary store and buy the bankruptcy kit for about ten dollars.

List the creditors you want to include in your bankruptcy on the form. Then go to Federal Bankruptcy court and file the petition for chapter 7 Bankruptcy.

I think it costs about 90 dollars to file. That is what I paid.

They will give you a Docket number which you will provide to your creditors and collection agencies which will stop them dead in their tracks. So now you have bought yourself some time a lot of time. You can decide if you want to finalize the bankruptcy with a lawyer or forget it.

Next you can form a "revocable living trust" in which you put all your income.
    You open a Bank Account in the name of the trust.
    The trust can be for the benefit of your children but you make yourself the executor which gives you full control over all the funds till your death then it goes to the children or the next executor you selected to disburse any remaining funds. Remember the trust is for the benefit of you children and you are not the trust thus they can not attach funds that does not belong to you!
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2012, 04:58 PM
    When did they get a judgment against you? Did you attend the hearing? Did you file a fraud report with the police? If you did not do anything, you let them win by default even if it was fraud.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can collection agencies levi my bank account? [ 3 Answers ]

Can a collection company levi my bank account for a credit card debt?

Two collection agency trying to collect on one account [ 2 Answers ]

We are in consumer counseling and making our payments in a timely manner, but are still being harassed by one creditor that is not making any sense. This one collection agency keeps calling to collect on a debt, but there is also another collection agency doing the same thing on the same account. ...

Collection agency stopped my bank account. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I would like to have a legal advice from someone who knows tenant and landlord litigation. If you are able to help me your help would be greatly appreciated If not please help me find somebody who can answer my question. Back in 2001 I had lived in a apartment building in the Bronx and I...

Capital One Froze My Bank Account [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Virginia. Capital One credit cards obtained a judgement against me on 10/25/06. On 11/3/06, I went to the ATM to withdraw some money and was informed that I had insufficient funds. Funny, that morning I had 700.00. I asked the bank and they said some one had withdrawn 1201.82 from...

Bank Account Levy-froze Student Loan Funds [ 2 Answers ]

I had outstanding credit card debt 5 yrs ago and am in the process of settling all accts. However, I deposited my STUDENT LOAN CHECK in my bank account, and I guess because of the higher balance a lawyer firm that I had no idea was suuing me because they sent all correspondence to the wrong...

View more questions Search