Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mattjohnson27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2005, 03:29 PM
    Am I legally obligated to work with a debt collector ?
    I received a letter in the mail today from a debt collector in regards to a medical Bill.

I had called the original creditor in November of 2004 explianing that because of overwheling medical debts I was unable to make payments at this time. I then sent another letter in March of 2005 stating that I was in the same situation. But had no forgotten about the balance and would start making payments as soon as possible.

My question is, am I legally obligated to work with the Debt Collector, If I call the orignal creditor and make payment plans, can they refuse that. The letter I received states that the account was placed in there hands, not that they bought the debt.

Also, when the balance was incurred I was living in Missouri, I know live in Pennsylvania, the debt collection company is based in Texas. So who's laws do they have to follow ? MO, PA or TX ?

Thanks
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2005, 07:07 AM
    They have to follow PA law. Ask them to verify the debt, by providing the orignial sign contract. Ask if they have purchased the debt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anyone work with Superior Debt Relief? [ 18 Answers ]

Let me know if anyone has ever worked with them!

Debt collector just liened my account, I'm a student. [ 19 Answers ]

I'm a full time student and have spoken to this particular collector letting them know that once I begin working I will begin paying of the debt. I don't keep much in my bank account, usually just cash given to me here and there, I pretty much make sure its always under $1000. Well the judgement...

Credit card debt & a 3rd party collector [ 3 Answers ]

To be honest my credit card debt to American Express has gotten up to about $12,000 because of all the interest. It has been sent to GC Services, a third party collector. I am in school and will be done for the summer in about a month and will be working full-time then but am only working...

Got Letter from Debt Collector [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I have got a letter from FCRA debt collector agency for 9939 Dollars for apartment lease break. In 2001, I had to leave United States due to loss of job. At that time, my friend requested me to allow him in my apartment. Since I had to leave quickly I allowed him to stay in the apartment ....

Nasty debt collector [ 2 Answers ]

I owe a large CIBC Visa bill, in which they have cancelled me collections and I sent CIBC 6 post dated cheques for $250.00@ for the 15th of each month. I am unemployeed and have other debts as well. I received Unemployment insurance and when I explained this to the collection agency they advised...

View more questions Search