Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Charrrr Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Jun 23, 2007, 01:16 PM
    Getting rid of warts
    I have a wart on my right palm I'm currently getting rid of.
    I don't know what kind of wart it is.
    At the moment I'm using the acid and then sticking a plaster over it to kill it off methods.

Just wanted to know anyone's advice or opinions on getting rid of warts and how long it takes, etc.

Thanks!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 23, 2007, 02:17 PM
    You are going to hate this answer. But dabbing your own urine on it will get rid of it in a couple of weeks. May sound gross but after I heard that, I actually got rid of a very tenacious wart on my finger that was completely driving me crazy when I wore my latex gloves for work.

There is a very good reason for this method, look it up on Google.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2007, 02:44 PM
    Why not just go to the doctor and get it frozen off? It takes a whole 5 minutes. If you don't have health insurance, go buy an OTC freeze off kit and do it at home. Repeat the process every few days in case it's a stubborn one.

I've also heard covering the wart with Duct tape works.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 23, 2007, 02:53 PM
    We were actually told in nursing school that duct tape works!!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2007, 06:58 PM
    I tried the wart remover from the store several times, a doctor burned mine off in his office, a dermatologist used dry ice over a course of months. With all of these methods they still came back. Finally the derm, did laser on them bling they stayed gone. One was actually pushing up my thumb nail it was so painful, the laser was well worth getting rid of them. I hope yours are easier to get rid of.
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Jun 23, 2007, 07:19 PM
    Aren't you in the UK? Use the very expensive health care you have and have the doc get rid of it.
    Expert

Jun 23, 2007, 08:17 PM
    One must understand that a wart is caused by a virus. Removal is usually temporary until the virus is completely eradicated by the body's system.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jun 23, 2007, 08:42 PM
    You can also use pads treated with salicylic acid, or a bottle of concentrated salicylic acid to help remove warts, which you will find at a pharmacy or drugstore. This method requires cleaning the area and then applying the salicylic acid. You will need to use a prumice stone or emery board afterwards to remove the dead skin.
    Expert

Jun 23, 2007, 09:10 PM
    This is the same acid that aspirin is derived from. Be very careful if you have an allergy to aspirin.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2007, 09:14 PM
    j9 that is very good to know, something else is that polio drops(live) can cause polio if a baby gets its spit up or feces on a person that has not had the vaccine, I find that dr.s fail to mention when giving it, at least when my kids were small they did not tell me. Iknow that was off topic, but thought it was worth mentioning.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jun 23, 2007, 10:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    This is the same acid that aspirin is derived from. Be very careful if you have an allergy to aspirin.
    Salicylic acid is a common active ingredient in many over-the-counter acne products. This prevents acne by clearing up dead skin cells that accumulate too quickly and clog the pores. Salicylic acid can continue to be used after the skin has cleared up to prevent future outbreaks of acne. The only side effects associated with salicylic acid are dry, irritated skin which can be taken care of by using a moisturizer. If salicylic acid is applied to warts daily for 6 to 12 weeks, it can help clear up the warts. This can also be used to remove corns or calluses.

J 9, since you're interested in this topic, I'll move it to the Nursing forum.
    theoriginalcyn Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2008, 03:17 PM
    if it looks a bit like the top of a califlower then it's a planter's wart. No biggie. I had one on my right palm too, and I fiiiiinaaaalllly got it off. I used a home freezing kit from dr.scholls, and some plaster bits. Then I started putting compound-w on it for a week, and that worked wonderfully - peeled right off ^.^

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How can I get rid of someone? [ 13 Answers ]

I met this girl a while back in a college class and after my girlfriend and I split I asked this other girl out. I pretty much used her as a rebound but she is also in a similar situation having just gotten out of a long relationship. I do not want to hurt her feelings but I also do not want to...

Warts on heal [ 4 Answers ]

My husband has 2 warts beside each other on his heel. What is the best way to get rid of these. He has recently tried Compound W... anything better out there? No idea where they came from - but present for the past few weeks.

To get rid of someone. [ 2 Answers ]

Im just frustrated by a person. He teases me a lot.I want to get rid of him. So please can anyone tell me that: HOW CAN I HACK HIS HOTMAIL/GMAIL/YAHOO PASSWORD? He uses three of these services.

Genital Warts? [ 4 Answers ]

I've recently noticed one small bump "down there". I've searched the web for an answer to what it might be but I need more specific advice before I see a doctor. It is perfectly round, smooth, flesh colored, and painless. It doesn't itch, smell or seem to be growing in size. And most importantly......

Warts are taking over my life as well as my fingers! [ 3 Answers ]

About a year ago I developed extra skin on the side on my ring finger; this then also appeared on my index finger. I used to bite at them hoping they would come off but they seemed to become bigger and a new one formed. I made an appointment with the doctor and was told that they were warts and I...

View more questions Search