Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jin15 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2007, 01:05 PM
    AVG and Zonealarm on XP
    Many people advise on combining avg and za together instead of norton, I am planning on changing but need to know Which has better anti-spyware and anti-spam protection avg or za? Because that will determine which internet security suite I will get. Also please let me know of the combination you use? Thanks
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 23, 2007, 01:09 PM
    Personnaly I would avoid an All In One solution as they can cause problems.
    Also sometimes it is better to use more than one scanner as they detect things in different ways.
    To make sure everything is running fine run both anti virus and anti spyware apps in normal AND safe modes. (make sure that they are updated first ! ;)) (AVG is good and free AV)
    (A couple of good removal tools are Spybot and Adaware)

ALso an on line virus and spyware scanner is Trend Housecall

Just a note: actively running two AV's on one machine can cause problems.
    So if you are thinking about it make sure your current one is disabled first.
    Same thing applies to online scanners as well.

Removal of junk files is easy with CCleaner a free app that does exactly what that.
    jin15 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2007, 01:27 PM
    Yes I understand that running two of the same type of programs will cause slow downs and other problems.

I plan on using avg as the antivirus and zonealarm as the firewall.

My question was that both avg and zonealarm offer antispam and antispyware protection and which one is superior so that I can get the correct versions.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 23, 2007, 01:30 PM
    I have mentioned, what I consider the best ones, earlier.

Spybot and Adaware.
    adec234 Posts: 79, Reputation: 2

Nov 12, 2007, 07:24 AM
    Combining of two anti virus together is not recommend. Avg is one of the best
    jamesbraken Posts: 157, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2009, 03:54 AM

It would be better if you keep on of them. If you want to know my opinion.
    I prefer avg anti virus and superanti spyware is the best combination found and it is free also.
    It don't take much time for update.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ZoneAlarm Security Alerts (Urgent) [ 3 Answers ]

Today, I've been receiving various security alerts from ZoneAlarm. I don't know that much about network security, but these are the messages that I just received. The firewall has blocked Internet access to your computer (TCP Port 55555) from ip56500def.direct-adsl.nl (86.80.13.239) (TCP Port...

ZoneAlarm blocking MP3Search.ru? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, my daughter is interested in the MP3Search.ru website, and we have been able to navigate to it in the past. But recently I have installed ZoneAlarm and AdAware/AdWatch on all our computers and we now cannot get to the site. I get the page saying that 'the website is unavailable, check with...

Avg Free [ 11 Answers ]

I have installed AVG Free virus scanner but now I cannot receive or send emails from outlook express. If I close AVG then I can get mail Any ideas - I'm running Windows XP Thanks

Norton or AVG [ 3 Answers ]

I run Windows XP and norton anti virus but I still get viruses so I downloaded AVG but I'ts making my machine run slowly - do I need both? Can I get rid of Norton and still be protected? How can I speed up my machine? I've run disk cleanup, I don't have temp files cloggin it up, since...

View more questions Search