Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2007, 04:54 PM
    What, who, where is GOD?
    After seeing a movie my 4 year old is asking about GOD. How do you explain GOD to a 4 year old in terms he can understand?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 22, 2007, 05:36 PM
    God is in heaven, God is the maker of all things and ruler of all. He is a person who loves you very much.

Of course this is assuming you are asking about it from a Christian view point. Simple, since christianity is suppose to be simple
    ActionJackson Posts: 301, Reputation: 28

Jun 22, 2007, 05:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by danielnoahsmommy
    After seeing a movie my 4 year old is asking about GOD. How do you explain GOD to a 4 year old in terms he can understand?
    If you wish for your child to know and understand God, I believe that the example you set right now is the most important way to explain God. If your 4 year old sees you pray before your meals; if he or she sees you thank God, etc. then he or she is more apt to accept His existence. If your child should ask who God is, tell him or her the truth. God is the Creator of the universe and the animals and people. God loves His creation. God is good and wishes for us to be good too. He or she might not fully understand right now but you have introduced the subject and planted the seed. There's probably nothing that you could explain to a four year old about the world and life that he or she would fully understand. Heck, if you follow the threads here, in this Christian forum, it's pretty clear that full grown adults have difficulty understanding the simplicity of Christianity. It's an ongoing process that continues until the day we die.
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Jun 25, 2007, 12:57 AM
    Agree fully with u AJ, we should represent Christ, whether its to a four year old or a fifty year old. When you see me, you should se my father :)
    calover16m Posts: 41, Reputation: 3

Jun 25, 2007, 02:01 AM
    There are many books that can help kids understand God, The Bible, etc. on their level. You should consider buying one and reading it before bed or whenever and see if that helps.
    clvann Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2008, 05:21 PM
    yes bring that child up in the way he/she should go. We can explain so many myths and fairytales to our children. Such as the easter bunny, santa clause, tooth fairy, etc. but when it comes to the true living god, we haven't the faintest... lol. I agree with just keeping it simple. God is in heaven, he watches over us all and one day we must stand before him and answer for all we've done in our life.
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Sep 14, 2008, 05:56 PM
    I would tell the child, as above, that god is love, he loves us, and wants us to love each other.
    gromitt82 Posts: 370, Reputation: 23

Sep 15, 2008, 08:11 AM
    I would definitely tell him/her that GOD is love and GOD wants us to love him too, and at the same I totally endorse Action Jackson's answer dated June last year. Best way to educate a child is through the example set up by his/her parents he/she can see at home Even though they do not like like children ALWAYS notice what we do and try to imitate their parents all the time.
    addaddadd Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2008, 03:09 AM
    Did you know as a christian, its responsibility of christian parent to teach their children about the will of God. In the bible it says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."Proverbs 22:6. So you don't have a problem if you teach your children they can understand it because it's the will of God to know Him. He will not make rules if we cannot follow. He made the rule and we can follow it.

Sep 18, 2008, 08:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by addaddadd
    Did you know as a christian, its responsibility of christian parent to teach thier children about the will of God. in the bible it says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."Proverbs 22:6. So you dont have a problem if you teach your children they can understand it because it's the will of God to know Him. He will not make rules if we cannot follow. He made the rule and we can follow it.
    My wife and I raised 4 children, who are now 4 grown up men with families who have given us 7 grand-children so far.
    They have all been risen in our faith as Roman Catholics, but also we have always tried to show them through our own example and behaviour what being a Christian actually meant.
    We cannot complain of the outcome, although I'm sure we might have done an even better job. However, we did as best as we could and, as I say, we are satisfied. ;) ;)
    Patriarch Posts: 75, Reputation: 4

Sep 21, 2008, 11:15 PM
    Children have short attention spans and thus the more simple the answer the better. Teach the child gradually. Give more in depth answers as he or she is able to handle. The use of comparisons and illustrations are most effective. Here are some sugestions. God is invisible just as air or sound. God is beyond the stars. God is a maker like a house builder. God is a father like a man. God is a loving and caring provider as he has given us a planet, food, water, shelter and life. For a 4 year old this will be more than enough of an answer. Give more details the more mature the child becomes.

Sep 22, 2008, 03:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriarch View Post
    Children have short attention spans and thus the more simple the answer the better. Teach the child gradually. Give more in depth answers as he or she is able to handle. The use of comparisons and illustrations are most effective. Here are some sugestions. God is invisible just as air or sound. God is beyond the stars. God is a maker like a house builder. God is a father like a man. God is a loving and caring provider as he has given us a planet, food, water, shelter and life. For a 4 year old this will be more than enough of an answer. Give more details the more mature the child becomes.
    I fully endorse your answer. I think your advice is excellent! Thank you
    Patriarch Posts: 75, Reputation: 4

Sep 22, 2008, 08:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gromitt82 View Post
    I fully endorse your answer. I think your advice is excellent! Thank you
    You are quite welcome! :)
    addaddadd Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2008, 03:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gromitt82 View Post
    My wife and I raised 4 children, who are now 4 grown up men with families who have given us 7 grand-children so far.
    They have all been risen in our faith as Roman Catholics, but also we have always tried to show them through our own example and behaviour what being a Christian actually meant.
    We cannot complain of the outcome, although I'm sure we might have done an even better job. However, we did as best as we could and, as I say, we are satisfied. ;) ;)
    I have also a family, and Im proud to be a Christian. I will raised my kids with Gods word and not my own knowledge. I believe in the word of God in the bible as a Bible says "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doktrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:" IITimothy 3:16
    So if you want to live as a christian it should be base in the bible, in Philippians it says "Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving togother for the faith of the gospel; Philippians 1:27 It is best if you raise your kids with Gods Word.

Sep 24, 2008, 07:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by addaddadd View Post
    I have also a family, and Im proud to be a Christian. I will raised my kids with Gods word and not my own knowledge. I beleive in the word of God in the bible as a Bible says "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doktrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:" IITimothy 3:16
    So if you want to live as a christian it should be base in the bible, in Philippians it says "Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving togother for the faith of the gospel; Philippians 1:27 It is best if you raise your kids with Gods Word.
    I basically agree with you. Our life as Christians should be based upon the Scriptures.
    However, the Scriptures are basically composed of two Books: the Old Testament and the New Testament. I would add both equally important. Yet, the New Testament sinthetizes, in a way, both books for Jesus tells us with the Gospels what really matters for us to reach His Kingdom. This is why, without neglecting what the Old Testament teaches us, we try as much as we can, to live by the Gospel, which is Jesus' Word!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is God Just One ? [ 42 Answers ]

In Christisn, as God; In Islam, as Allah; In Hindus, as Krisna... Why are there so many Gods ?

Do you need God [ 12 Answers ]

I know I do need god how about you I get through the daywith god I ask him for help and I get it but not all the time

Where did God come from? [ 20 Answers ]

We are all Christians and attend church regularly. After service one Sunday my 8 yo comes to me and asks this question. Daddy, if God created the heavens and the earth, and all living creatures, etc. then who created God? If he had a Mommy and Daddy, where did they come from? I laughed......

Oh my god what do I do... [ 4 Answers ]

Me and my girlfriend have been together for 7 months and I honestly thought that I loved her. I think that now I only really want her as a friend because she has tried to change me from what I am. I am the type who likes to go out and have fun with friends, and smoke and stuff like that. I was out...

View more questions Search