Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mali145 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2007, 10:53 AM
    Solve this scenario
    Scenario
    You are one of a team of managers working in popular hotel. You are responsible for the smooth & efficient running of the hotel kitchen. Within the kitchen you have 3 chefs & 8 kitchen assistants who carry out a variety of tasks supporting the chefs. Other managers within the hotel have responsibility for the bar, restaurant, reception & office, housekeeping & maintenance.
    On a particular day, 2 of the 3 chefs & 3 assistants are taken violently ill. That day, one of the other assistants is on a scheduled day off. can not hire any staff
    The restaurant is fully booked for the evening ahead.

Your Task
    As the manger, your role is to ensure that the restaurant can open on time and honour the bookings. In you presentation, you should demonstrate awareness of the various issues you need to consider, your communication strategy & actions you might take to cope with the work activities and demands
    stonewilder Posts: 420, Reputation: 99

Jun 22, 2007, 02:22 PM
    I would quit! I'll try this anyway.

#1. I would call the assistant who is scheduled off for the day and do or say what ever I could to convince him/her to come in.

#2. If it is allowed I would call a manager from the same hotel chain and ask if they could send a chef to help.

#3. Since I am part of a team of managers (team being the key word there) I would expect them to pull together in what ever way possible to help get the job done.

#4. I'm thinking maybe I am not a chef who was promoted to manager so I think the actual chef should be in charge of organizing who is to do what in the kitchen. I'm also sure that I have 2 assistants who could take on the role of chef for the night.

#5. If all else is failing I would try to have or change the menu for the night where the dishes take less time or less complicated to prepare if that is even possible.

#6. Any wait staff etc. who may have some free time would be expected to help out in the kitchen as needed providing of course that they could still take care of the customers as normal.

I would hope that at least a few of those ideas would work or I'm not going to have to quit…I'll probably get fired.

So how did I do, am I fired?
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2007, 02:33 PM
    This sounds like a homework assignment.

Do your own homework.
    stonewilder Posts: 420, Reputation: 99

Jun 22, 2007, 06:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    This sounds like a homework assignment.

Do your own homework.

:D Good answer!
    kieran6479 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2007, 04:53 PM
    What do YOU think the answer is?

Make an attempt at the answer, and then we will assist you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Solve [(86400*n^2)/2^n]<1 solve n [ 3 Answers ]

Could you Please solve this problem <1 solve n

Scenario [ 2 Answers ]

How do I install a 150W driveway light 200m from the house, the light switch is on the wall outside the front door under the porch

Does this scenario sound like retaliation in the workplace [ 2 Answers ]

I believe I was fired out of retaliation for assisting my son (part owner of a construction company) during the time he was attempting to execute the buy-sell provision of the company. The assistance requested by my son on Friday, March 9th 2007 was to: 1. Relate to him information regarding...

Summary on scenario [ 2 Answers ]

Attached documents: Email from Fred Thurnham and 3 application forms. It is 11 October 2006. You are Edith Jones. You are working on a project to allocate up to £5,000 to one of three causes to benefit from funds available from the Welsh Lottery Board. Your manager, Fred Thurnham, has given you...

Wood siding scenario [ 4 Answers ]

Help me! I'm at my wits end here. I've scraped, painted, sanded, filled, grinded, scraped for years on my garage siding ( 8" wood) and nothing I do seems to last! It flakes, bubbles and checks all over. I've used oil based primer, as I've been told, and nothing seems to work. Before I take a match...

View more questions Search