Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sammccullough Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2007, 09:16 AM
    Leak around basement fireplace but not in fireplace
    Recently when we had heavy rain it leaked around the baement fireplace. I have noticed that the grout around the bricks are wet (not sure if soaking up from the floor). Thought because some flooding near by that it was a one time thing. Now it rained a coupe of days ago and I am noticing that it is wet again around the fireplace in the basement only. The fire place for the living room & the basement are connected. What could this be from.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 22, 2007, 01:52 PM
    The two fireplaces don't share the same smoke shaft in the chimney. You could possible be getting rain down the chimney but not likely. It is mostlikely that the footings of your basement fireplace are settling away from the foundation and allowing seepage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

Hi,this is whisky4 asking about the highest safe temputure for a fireplace,the fireplace I have is fairly thick as it sticks outside of house plus what is inside the house,the house was built in 1924had a chimney sweep look at it and he sid it was all right,thank,s

Fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

I have an existing fireplace (insert) w/ a brick chimney. It is fairly old, but in decent shape except for the back wall of the insert itself. It appears to be nothing more than concrete or mortar of some type over top of the back metal wall of the fireplace. It is cracked and has several plugs...

HELP... PLEASE.. chimney leak? Carpet wet around fireplace... [ 5 Answers ]

Hi... I hope someone understands what might be going on.. Several weeks ago, while it was raining, we noticed in our downstairs room, the plasterboard above the wood stove... Was wet... and dripping.. onto the brick hearth... that the wood stove sits upon. My husband went up on the roof...

Fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

I bought my townhouse, new in 1991 direct from the builder. The fireplace came with the townhouse and is now 12 years old. Here is my problem, In the front left & right corners of the bottom of the fireplace where the floor of the fireplace and metal frame come together there is a gap of about...

View more questions Search