Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2007, 09:34 PM
    I see how it's wired on the schematic, but I don't see anything on the line side of the contactor besides the line voltage, that's what has me confused.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2007, 09:37 PM
    I hate to say it but your wrong the crank case heater is hot when the contactor is open not calling for heat or cooling keeping the oil warm in the compressor but when the contactor closes the heater drops out.
    shoe Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2007, 06:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Top
    I hate to say it but your wrong the crank case heater is hot when the contactor is open not calling for heat or cooling keeping the oil warm in the compressor but when the contactor closes the heater drops out.
    I found this at the following link. You are correct T.

Compressor Crankcase Heater

"Some manufacturers of AC equipment install crankcase heaters either in the compressor or mount them externally around the base of the compressor. The (2) wires of the heater is wired directly to the 230 Volt input side of the contactor from the main power supply, and is always supplying 230 volts of power to the heater. "

I am going to go out and look at it now. I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks again!

Shoe
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Jun 23, 2007, 07:40 AM
    What you guys are discusing is over my head. All that I know is that last summer my heat pump turned on by itself (in the heat mode) while the thermostat was in the off position. The only way I could turn it off was by tripping the breaker. I replaced the 10 year old Honeywell programmable thermostat, and solved the problem.

Jun 23, 2007, 07:43 AM
    Ok, I went outside and looked at the unit. I do not think that this unit has a crankcase heater unless I am missing something. I am assuming that if there were, that it would be plugged into the bottom of the contactor. There are no cables there. There was a thermal cover on the compressor which I removed.

After I turned on the breaker and the unit kicked on, I checked the voltage coming in and it read 240 (11 and 23). I also checked the voltage across 21 and 23, and it read 120.

Jun 23, 2007, 08:04 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion Dr D.

I unplugged the wiring that leads inside the house (disabling the thermostat), and the thing still kicked on when I turned on the circuit breaker. Ugh!! This is weird...

I put some additional pictures up online of the contactor

http://www.shoemaker.us/temp/contactor.jpg

And the inside components
    http://www.shoemaker.us/temp/inside1.jpg
    http://www.shoemaker.us/temp/inside2.jpg
    http://www.shoemaker.us/temp/inside3.jpg

Scott
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Jun 23, 2007, 08:19 AM
    I also disconnected the wires from my old TS. That did not shut off the HP. It was only after I hooked up the new TS that it shut down. Why, I don't know.
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2007, 10:14 AM
    In the pic you sent of the contactor it looks like it is in the closed position. Do you have 24 volts on the low voltage side of contactor?(check yellow and black wires on sides of contactor)

Jun 23, 2007, 11:21 AM
    In the pic you sent of the contactor it looks like it is in the closed position. Do you have 24 volts on the low voltage side of contactor?(check yellow and black wires on sides of contactor)
    Yes, in the picture, it does look closed. I also thought that it looked that way when I posted it. I can assure you that it is open, though. It is brand new and springs back when I manually push it in with the breaker off. There is no contact between the metal contact points until I push it in.

I checked the voltage between the yellow and brown wires (on the sides), and it was not 24V. It was negligible.

Thanks for the help.

Scott
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 23, 2007, 12:45 PM
    Looks like you have a refrigerant leak by all the oil in the bottom of the condensing unit. Unless it is just old wet leaves. It also looks like oil residue on the copper line in the picture. Interesting.
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2007, 12:50 PM
    There is no crankcase heater. I agree, it looks oil to me as well.
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2007, 12:54 PM
    If you only have 120 volts at the top of the contactor when it's open, that is OK, it's a single pole contactor so it only breaks one leg. Something is strange here. Pull the small wire off the right side of the contactor, then power it up, does it come on?

Jun 23, 2007, 01:06 PM
    No oil, just wet leaves.

I pulled the yellow wire off on the right side, and it still came on.
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2007, 01:13 PM
    Ok, disconnect and tape off the two wires on the top of the contactor that are behind the screws, power it up, does it run?
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2007, 01:14 PM
    Something is back feeding somewhere.

Jun 23, 2007, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacservicetech_07
    Ok, disconnect and tape off the two wires on the top of the contactor that are behind the screws, power it up, does it run?
    No, it does not run, but you can hear a hum.

Also, there might be a little oil on the bottom in the leaves. I cleaned out the leaves and some of them were pretty dark. My fingers were a little greasy as well.
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2007, 01:23 PM
    You may have a small leak, but that won't keep it running, try switching both yellow and black wires on the top of the contactor, and let me know what that does, I'm trying to pinpoint what exactly is back feeding.

Jun 23, 2007, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacservicetech_07
    You may have a small leak, but that won't keep it running, try switching both yellow and black wires on the top of the contactor, and let me know what that does, I'm trying to pinpoint what exactly is back feeding.
    OK, Fan started, but compressor only hummed, probably because it was bypassing the capacitor.
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2007, 03:48 PM
    In one of your pics it looks like the condenser fan wire is not on the defrost relay. I see the power in but not the black wire for the fan motor. Give us a pic of the top side of the run capacitor so we can see the wires. It is a back feed problem and a easy fix but just hard to do from the PC. Don't give up your close.

Jun 23, 2007, 04:47 PM
    Give us a pic of the top side of the run capacitor so we can see the wires. It is a back feed problem and a easy fix but just hard to do from the PC. Dont give up your close.
    Here is the pic.

http://www.shoemaker.us/temp/cap.jpg

Thanks again. This is very strange...

Shoe

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Heat pump condensing unit will not shut off [ 4 Answers ]

My heat pump condensing unit has been running for several hours now without shutting off. It is blowing out cool air. When I turn unit off manually and turn back on, you can feel the heat for a few minutes and then it goes back to cool. Please help...

Heat pump stuck in heat mode [ 4 Answers ]

I have a heat pump that seems to be stuck in heat mode. When you try to turn the a/c on it runs heat. I got the a/c to run by cycling the power a couple of times but after having to use the heat again, it is stuck again. Could this be an electrical problem or is it probably the reversing valve?

Heat won't shut off! [ 1 Answers ]

We have gas heat and 4 heating zones in our house. We have baseboard heat in all but 2 rooms where there are traditional radiators built into the walls. The basement zone always seems OK, but the other 3 have from time to time kept the temp rising past what the thermostat is set at until we have...

Electric heat pump auxilery heat problem [ 4 Answers ]

Equipment: Trane XL1400 4 years old Auxilery heat: Strips... 2 -60Amp circuits Filters changed every 30 days I cleaned outdoor unit summer 2006, as every year. Thermostat: Honeywell Chromotherm II Problem: I have been noticing at times the aux heat kicking in at times I think it should not....

View more questions Search