Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 22, 2007, 06:34 AM
    Installing new deadbolt and enlarging the mounting hole
    I have purchased a new deadbolt lock for my front door, which requires me to drill a 2-1/8inch diameter hole in the door. There is already an existing smaller diameter hole for the old deadbolt. My question is: are there any tricks to enlarging the diameter of an existing hole? My hole saw uses a central drill bit, which work fine when drilling a hole in a new door, but I'm not sure how it will work for enlarging an existing hole (since the central drill bit has nothing to drill into). Any advice out there?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2007, 07:07 AM
    Their may be a JIG that will easily solve your problem.
    I don't have one, What you can do is, Take a plug Maybe from drilling through a piece of scrap wood with ? " hole saw. So it will fit in existing hole This may need to be sanded down to fit.
    Then insert in small hole, 1/4" hole already to insert your larger size hole saw.
    I am curious about other answers, as this is all I can come up with, This situation is common, Curious of other techniques. Good Luck
    ThomasCKeat Posts: 157, Reputation: 12

Jun 22, 2007, 03:07 PM
    If time permits Stratmando is correct, we cut a plug the size of existing hole and glue into place, when glue has dried with a hole bit redrill to larger size. No time then I just use my drum sander with 40 or 60 grit paper attached to my drill makes short work of enlarging holes provided it's a wood door. A good rasp and half round file works well also just a little labor. These options any one can do, they do make a gig that make a portable press out of your drill and clamps to your work piece but that's a expensive solution for just one hole.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jun 22, 2007, 03:46 PM
    There Is A Bit For This, First Take The 2 1/8 Hole Saw Bit, And Put The Smaller Bit Inside. There's A Few Brands Of Holes Saws You Can Do This To.
    They Also Showed This Trick On This Old House Classics
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Jun 23, 2007, 03:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by glavine
    There Is A Bit For This, First Take The 2 1/8 Hole Saw Bit, And Put The Smaller Bit Inside. Theres A Few Brands Of Holes Saws You Can Do This To.
    They Also Showed This Trick On This Old House Classics
    How about clamp 2 pieces of woods or metal plates on both sides and use a longer drill bit
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jun 23, 2007, 05:18 PM
    How about clamp 2 pieces of woods or metal plates on both sides and use a longer drill bit

THIS IS AN EXCELLENT WAY TO DO THIS WITHOUT SPENDING ANY MONEY, GOOD JOB
    CAIBUADDAY, GREAT IDEA

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Enlarging a basment shower/ venting [ 1 Answers ]

We are changing an existing shower from a 32x32 fiberglass to a 48x48 tiled in shower. There is a cast iron Pipe that was connected to a copper vent. It now sits in the middle of the larger area we are intending to be our shower. The vent pipe that it was connecting to is less than 30" away can we...

Enlarging patterns [ 1 Answers ]

Suggestions please on enlarging pattern

Mounting a new celing fan [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I just moved into a new home and trying to mount a celing fan in the bedroom.The builder have already installed a wired mounting, so I had no problem mounting the fn, but wiring is another story! There are 3 outlets coming out of the wiring housing: First have 1 purple, 1 yellow and 1 white...

CI drain/toilet mounting [ 2 Answers ]

Part I. I replaced the toilet in my lower level family room on a “temporary” basis-it's a long story but I needed a working toilet.:) The flange is cast iron and connected to a cast iron drain. The flange was still good, but a portion of the pipe, the upper edge towards the back of the toilet,...

Enlarging shower [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am in the process of enlarging my downstairs bathroom in a tri-level home. I am moving the drain to center it in the shower. I have removed the old concrete and moved the drain about 18 inches. We would like to drop the shower floor a couple of inches as I am very tall and the bathroom has...

View more questions Search