Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drkamalsuja2007 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2007, 04:51 AM
    How do I find out if my 2yr old is gifted or not?
    Hello everyone

I have been browsing the net, looking for an answer and saw a question posted by Lorraine on the very same subject - I too would like to know how to recognise whether my 2 yr old (tunred 2 on 13th, Feb 2007, so actually 2 3/12) is gifted or just a quick learner or just intelligent for his age?

I would like to list out a few things I can think of that he does and be as accurate as possible about the time he started doing them
    - Talks in full sentences now, though not always right. Sometimes his grammar is wrong!
    - started talking words when he was 16-18 mo old
    - can understand and speak 3 languages (2 Indian, Tamil & Telugu, and English) - is able to associate similar words of these three languages (like the word we would use for , say for example, "cough" in english, tamil and telugu)

- Can say A - Z fully
    - Says the words for each alphabet, like A for apple to Z for Zebra

- Counts 1 - 15 fully and then to 20, but sometimes jumbling the order of numbers between 15- 20
    - counts 10 - 1 in reverse
    - counts things in books correctly up to 7-8, but when more than 10, is mostly wrong!

- loves to read books - can sit with books for more than an hour to nearly 3 hours

- can say the days of the week / names of the month

- can name many animals (more than 20) / fishes and birds from the books / TV

- Knows colours and can say the difference between pink and purple

- Knows shapes - Oval/ round/square/rectangle/triangle/heart/hexagon/star

- Loves music - remembers lyrics of songs heard just once and repeats them
    - sings many songs (more than 15) (all Indian though, which we hear)
    - when on his own, keeps singing some song or some tune constantly

- Can say up to 10 rhymes, and probably more

- Can say up to 3 of our religions holy shlokas (verses), fully

- Is very attentive and remembers and recollects things he has noticed only once

- Is very sensitive - if we cry or make a sad face, he immediately comes over to console us or says, its all right or its Ok , while patting our body

- His nursery teacher says he is good at puzzles, though I have not got many at home to write specifically about

- IS very particular about keeping his toys , especially cars/trucks/trains etc, in a line or a perfect semi circle on the floor, with all of them pointing in one direction and all of them in a perfectly straight edge

- Is particular about what dress he should wear, combining his pants and T shirts in good color sense

I am also looking for guidance on what to do.
    I currently reside in Wales, UK. My husband and I are both doctors, by profession.
    My son, Adithya was born a small boy (constitutionally) but has been very quick in his development milestones , like standing and walking by the time he was 10 mo old and talking by the time he was 18 mo old. He is usually very active (not over active) , spends a lot of time playing with us or in the park or nursery.

I got interested about this reading a news today about a 2year old girl, who was found to be gifted.

I would like to know if there is something I can do for him? Cos like Lorraine says, I don't want to push him into being something he never was.

I would like to also mention that he has been doing all this by himself and never has been forced to do anything he wasn't interested in. In fact, we haven't even given a thought to this, even when we were told by his health visitor and nursery head, how clever he was for his age.
    Reading some of the responses some parents have got, I am shocked! Either these people do not know what they are talking about or are just being mean!

Looking forward to some advice and help, preferably from someone who knows!!
    Thanks
    Sujatha
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Jun 22, 2007, 06:53 AM
    In my opinion, it is simply not necessary to apply the specific "gifted" label at this age. All toddlers and preschoolers, gifted or not, should be frequently exposed new experiences and concepts and offered ample opportunity for learning naturally. Go to zoos, parks, nature trails, museums, a farm, concerts and plays in the park, on a boat... whatever new things you can access.

Too many people want to push more formal education onto young children, which as your bright youngster has shown is not necessary to excel and learn at this age. In a year or so look into a progressive preschool program based on Montessori or similar.

It can't hurt to start researching and reading up on giftedness and educational options for gifted kids. If your child continues in this manner certainly consider testing around age 4 when language skills are a bit better, to help you chose the best schooling environment.

Jul 1, 2007, 08:39 AM
    Thank you for your opinion. Like I mentioned, I just wanted to know that I was not ignoring his talents, unintentionally.
    Yes, I provide him with lot of oppurtunities and exposure to variety of things. I mean, nothing special, just like any normal parent would, with a toddler.
    Yes, I would read up on this subject and do what is necessary, if it really is necessary!

Tata
    Sujatha
    airbats-goku Posts: 220, Reputation: 16

Jul 8, 2007, 02:39 AM
    I want to congratulate you on teaching your son a lot of things in his first 2 years. The pursuit of knowledge is commendable but please do not forget to let him be a child too. In today's society we push kids to grow up too fast as it is. In the schools in my area they expect children to have their career chosen and to begin selecting specific classes for this career by the time they reach the fourth grade (8 years old). You tell me, who knows what they want to be or can be capable of being by the age of eight? You have done a phenomenal job of teaching your son a number of things and there is no doubt in my mind as to your son's intelligence. Please keep in mind that many of the things that you are teaching him are memorization skills. If repeated often enough even those of lesser intelligence can learn memory based information. True intelligence, in my opinion and experience, comes from the person's ability to solve tangible problems. For example, how to reach something that is currently beyond their reach. Try him on jigsaw puzzles that he has not watched you put together. Watch him figure it out. Get building blocks and build things with them yourself and then take photos of them. Give him the blocks and the pictures. See if he can re-build what he sees in the pictures. Personally, this problem-solving child would be my idea of a gifted individual who can go on to a successful life.

Jul 9, 2007, 06:42 AM
    Thanks for the advice. But I would like to set somethings straight, as it looks like it has been (yet again) misunderstood.

Want to congratulate you on teaching your son a lot of things in his first 2 years

- We have not been "teaching" this stuff to our kid, like "formally teach"....he aclly has grasped lot of stuff by himself, whenever we read books together or hear songs etc---Normal things any parent-toddler does!

. The pursuit of knowledge is commendable but please do not forget to let him be a child too.

- I Have not and Will not! Thats why I mentioned even in the first mail--it was just to know what this "gifted child" stuff was all about.
    These mails have not changed anything ---he is a cheeky toddler, who is just smart!

In today's society we push kids to grow up too fast as it is. In the schools in my area they expect children to have their career chosen and to begin selecting specific classes for this career by the time they reach the fourth grade (8 years old). You tell me, who knows what they want to be or can be capable of being by the age of eight?

- I accept what you say--the whole thing is "ridiculous". Why 8, when actually, people are changing their profession in middle age, as they still are unsure.

True intelligence, in my opinion and experience, comes from the person's ability to solve tangible problems.

- I am thankful for this piece of advice.....again, like I mentioned before, I am not going to go ahead and get him puzzles etc just because its mentioned.we carry on having fun together , the way we used to, before! I just wanted to know what it actually meant by "gifted" and what exactly was it they did, if he was!
    In fact I know of kids meself, who are as smart or more, who don't necessarily have the title "gifted"! Like u say, its more important to be a successful and even more so, happy & contented person in life. I wouldn't be putting my kid through any of the process just to gain him a name --he has to enjoy life, his own way and when he comes out triumphant, fighting his own battles--then that's gifted to me!

Cheers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gifted or not [ 10 Answers ]

My question is: I have a 6 year old daughter that I think is gifted... she started to walk at 9 -10 months old... went from sitting to walking... has been talking very clearly since 10 months and does everything ahead... I have told the school that I think she is gifted and nothing has been done...

2yr old dog urinating on fianc?'s belongings [ 1 Answers ]

I have three dogs. I work a lot and recently had my fiancé move in with me. One of my dogs has shown signs of separation anxiety pretty much since I've had him. He's been a part of the family since a puppy. I don't know what to do to cure him of his anxiety issues. He also beats up on one of...

2 1/2yr old child w/ viral encephlitis [ 3 Answers ]

My 21/2 year old son was diagnosed with viral encephalitis just after turning 2 which has now left him neurologically devastated. The virus was never found and it is not a metabolic disorder. He also has seizures. He has about 20 subclinical daily. MRI shows some degradation of brain tissue...

I want full custody of my 2yr old niece [ 1 Answers ]

My sister is in jail and she agreed to sign the papers for full custody, but I'm not sure which ones I need. I have temp. custody of my niece right now and I've had the baby off and on since she was 3mos. Old. Every time my sister feels like playing momma she comes and takes her from me and with...

Future Step-daughter Insists on Bringing 2yr old [ 10 Answers ]

I would really like people's opinion on this... I am getting married soon to a man with a 2 yr. old grandson. We are not inviting children to the wedding, which will be in th evening & held in a historic home. My fiancé called his daughter, who must travel from out of town, to discuss our...

View more questions Search