Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hardcorejonny Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2007, 11:28 AM
    Why is the grounding and neutral bus bar connected in the sub panel?
    I had an electrician come in and install a new sub panel in my house and wire up my kitchen. When he finished, I took it from there. Now that I have the rest of the house wired, its time to connect it all to the sub panel. Both the neutral bus bar and the ground bus bar (2 separate buses) seem to be connected by a copper rod going across the sub panel. What's confusing me is that I've noticed the electrician didn't keep the ground and neutral wires separate when he hooked them up to the buses. They are all mixed together. Most of the grounds and the neutrals are both on the neutral bus bar. When an inspector came in to inspect some framing, he pointed out that they were mixed and that won't pass. When I asked the electrician, he said that they both get connected anyway, so it doesn't matter. Now I find myself in a pickle. Is there anyone out there that can help me out? Thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2007, 01:16 PM
    The inspector is correct, the electrician is incorrect, and is not knowledgeable about the grounded conductor (neutral) and the equipment ground conductor, and that plus the job did not pass inspection means he does not get paid.

Who is the permittee on this job?

If your electrician does not or cannot correct the job, keep some of the money you were to give him to hire another electrician that knows what he is doing and can come out to fix the problem. He should need to get his own permit,seems silly for such a small portion of the job, but to limit his permit to the actual work he has to do of separating the neutrals and grounds ,and insulating and isolating the neutral bar from the equipment ground.

Ask the inspector how you can have another electrician fix the first electricians screw up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grounding Bar vs. Neutral Bar? [ 14 Answers ]

Hello all. I have extended the wires from an unused 240 outlet to the backyard for a spa via a sub-panel. I also hooked up a new grounding electrode near it to avoid having to run a fourth wire all the way back to the main panel. This fourth wire goes to the small grounding bar in the sub-panel...

Ground/Neutral Bus in Main Service Panel - Is there a Difference? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm preparing to provide new wiring to a sizable addition to a log home. Prior to beginning the new work I mapped my existing circuits thinking it best to correct any potential overloads in the existing panel/circuit design before introducing any new problems on my own. Decided to make a few...

How do I instal a grounding rod to an older main panel ? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a friend who want me to instal a grounding rod on his home because he said that he was showering and when his electric furnace kicked on it kicked his , almost out of the tub, now He was tols that his home needed a grounding rod instaled to ground the house. Existing panel didn't have a...

Neutral contact not connected [ 3 Answers ]

I recently got Satellite TV that needed an exterior power source. I have an outside plug. The technician was going to use this plug. When he went to use the plugs both were dead. I used a UL Listed 3-Wire Circuit Analyzer which indicated to me the Neutral contact not connected. What can I do...

Ground and neutral bar [ 2 Answers ]

I'm installing a 4 wire, 50 AMP GFCI for my hot tub. My question is at my main breaker for the house where I'm taking power from, which bar is neutral and which bar is ground, or does it matter? Thanks Fred

View more questions Search