Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mbridges Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2005, 01:08 PM
    Breaker doesn't trip
    There is a property that has a 30-amp breaker in the electrical distribution panel labeled for the AC unit. The outside HVAC unit had a maximum over-current protection rating of 25-amps. I'm looking to see how serious this is and also to understand why the breaker doesn't trip with that amp difference.

Thanks.
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Jun 15, 2005, 01:32 PM
    The circuit breaker...
    Quote Originally Posted by mbridges
    There is a property that has a 30-amp breaker in the electrical distribution panel labled for the AC unit. The outside HVAC unit had a maximum over-current protection rating of 25-amps. I'm looking to see how serious this is and also to understand why the breaker doesn't trip with that amp difference.

Thanks.
    ... won't trip until its limit is exceeded by some percentage. You are quoting the nameplate of the A/C unit and what it should be fused at (25A). The breaker in the panel is oversized at 30A.
    mbridges Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2005, 02:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickit
    ...won't trip until its limit is exceeded by some percentage. You are quoting the nameplate of the A/C unit and what it should be fused at (25A). The breaker in the panel is oversized at 30A.

Thank you for your response. I see what your saying about the percentage
    But could you explain about the breaker in the panel being oversized and
    Could that cause any problems.
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Jun 15, 2005, 02:44 PM
    If the nameplate...
    Quote Originally Posted by mbridges
    Thank you for your response. I see what your saying about the percentage
    but could you explain about the breaker in the panel being oversized and
    could that cause any problems.
    ... indicates a 25A rating this is to describe to the installer that no larger rating than a 25A breaker should be used as a disconnect and a resettable fuse for the A/C. As you have a 30A breaker, this is larger than the nameplate indicates and should be changed out to a 25A breaker for reasons of safety.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need tips for a trip to Korea [ 3 Answers ]

Ok me and my friends are obviously planning a trip to Korea for next year and I wanted to know if anyone can give me tips. Like a good place to buy tickets and stuff.

How to take money on trip [ 3 Answers ]

My son is going to Italy and Greece on a school trip very soon. We have gotten conflicting advice as to how best to exchange his money. First what is the best way to secure it. Traveler's Checks, debit card or any other way. Also does the exchange rate differ enough that he should wait until he...

Round Trip times [ 4 Answers ]

My Question is if Series of Round trip times(RTT) is given.Then how can we find out The Smoothed RTT,The Deviation in RTT,The Time out interval at each value.

Should I ask this girl on a trip... [ 4 Answers ]

I've only known her for about a month now and when we talk we seem to share some of the same things in life. We are both kind of busy and haven't been out on a date yet but I wonder I should ask her on this 6 day trip with me to break the ice or not. I can't really tell if she's intrested in...

Would GFCI trip? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm into salt water fish tanks and I'm trying to get a better understanding of when a GFCI would (or wouldn't) trip under different situations. Suppose I had 1 submersible pump in the tank and for some reason it cracked. (For example, if I were hammering a nail into the wall above the tank and...

View more questions Search