Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loonypat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2005, 12:56 PM
    Computer Problem
    Working on a computer that will not work at its home location. Bring it into the office or take it to my home - works fine. Cannot figure out the problem. Can't operate computer at all at home location - continuosly locks up one right after the other, have to alt control delete to reboot or completely unplug. Added a usb port recently thought that may be the problem but works in different location. Home monitor has a little wiggle in it - no bent pins, one missing, but believe that may have never been there. Could the monitor wiggle be causing the lock up? Operating System is Windows ME. Lots of hard drive space, 128 mb RAM - wanting to upgrade, but waiting to see if it will run where it is supposed to.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2005, 04:26 AM
    First thing to try is to boot into safe mode. Hold done F8 as your PC boots and it should show a screen where you can boot into safe mode. If you can get into safe mode, then load up MSConfig (Start >> Run >> Type in "MSConfig" >> OK).
    Take a look in the startup tab and disable anything you don't think is essential. Then reboot back into normal mode. If you can get in this time, one of the programs you disabled is causing the problem. This is where trial and error comes in. Try turning on the processes one by one and rebooting until you hit the one causing the problem. Then just leave this one off. Let us know what it is though so we can see if we can fix the problem.

One question though. Is this PC you are carting around a lot a laptop? If it's not - stop moving your PC around so much. Desktops aren't built for constantly being moved around.

Finally, if you are upgrading - get rid of Windows ME while you are at it. It's terrible unreliable.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2005, 07:28 AM
    Not work at home
    Hi,
    Have you checked your electric wall outlet?
    Check it with a voltage meter. It could be that it has some power surges on it.
    Are you plugging the computer into a surge protector or simply plugging it into the electrical wall outlet?
    Varying electrical voltage could possibly cause this.
    If all else is the same, such as same setup, etc, the current to the computer is probably the cause.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 18, 2005, 02:22 PM
    No way does problems with electrical power cause this. Haven't a clue where anyone would think that. It is unusual that it would freeze just at home though. I would look to see what's different (other then electrical power).
    lastshooter Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2005, 02:50 AM
    Moniter
    Try using a different moniter ;)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2005, 05:54 AM
    Computer not booting up
    Hi, again,
    I still think, that if nothing else has changed, the only option is to check the voltage at your electrical outlet. Have you checked it yet?
    It is possible; I have seen it happen before, but it is rare.
    Best of luck,
    fredg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Playboy girlfirend problem.. Real problem [ 14 Answers ]

I have this new girlfriend.. that I really, really like (more than any other). She seems really nice... she was wearing everything of the "playboy" (earrings, bag, shirt, etc, etc) brand name / merchandise. I thought it was cute and a one time thing. Until I saw her bedroom.. It was 100%...

Direct computer to computer connection via Ethernet ports [ 1 Answers ]

I should like to connect two Windows XP computers via Gigabit ethernet ports. What a software is necessary To ensure the possibility to use one of the PCs as a terminal of another With sharing HDDs ets?

Problem with my friends computer [ 11 Answers ]

I have a problem with my friends computer I try to install windows 98 on it, but every time I start the computer the bootlog says Media test failed, Check cable what dose that mean. There is no OS on it, it's a blank hard drive

Newly built computer for sale! Powerful Computer! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a computer for sale, here are the specs: DFI Landparty NF4 SLI-DR Motherboard AMD64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ Processor 1GB of Corsair XMS Dual Channel RAM Aspire X-Cruiser Silver Case 550 Watt Antec True Power Power Supply 7800GTX 256MB DDR3 Graphics Card with SLI enabled 300GB Maxtor...

Computer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi My project idea at the university consist of collecting information from phone calls to PC. The information consist of pressing number 1 or 2 on the phone. I did part of the project but I have aproblem which is : I need to allow around 30 (or more if possible) person to call at the same...

View more questions Search