Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bekah876 Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Jun 21, 2007, 06:07 AM
    Sun tanning while pregnant
    I have a friend that is 3 months pregnant. While talking we got on the subject of tanning while pregnant. We both know that you are not suppose to lay in tanning beds while pregnant but we didn't know if it was safe for her to lay out in the sun. What do all of you think? Is it safe for a pregnant woman to lay out and sunbathe? Or is this also dangerous for the baby? And if it is dangerous, why is it dangerous? And input would be appreciated.
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2007, 08:21 AM
    I can think of two reasons that it could be dangerous. It raises the temperature of your body, and it dehydrates you. Whether the raise in body temperature would be enough to harm the baby, I'm not sure. Now, this also all depends on how long you are staying out in the sun. I went sun bathing with my first son, one time. He turned out fine, but I can tell you that doing it that one time was enough for me and I never did it again, even with my second pregnancy. This is because in the course of the time that I was out there,(half an hour to an hour's time) I got so hot and dehydrated that I got sick to my stomach, with stomach pains and nearly went to the hospital. I called them and they told me to drink at least 5 8oz glasses of water first, and if the pains continued, to come in. I drank it and immediately started to feel better. Now, I was notorious for not drinking enough water anyway, so I'm sure that played a part in it as well. What ever the reasoning it scared me enough that I didn't attempt it again. I think, should you do it in moderation, it should be fine. But in that case, you likely wouldn't be able to be out in the sun long enough to get a good tan anyway. AND on top of that, being in the sun can aggrivate certain skin conditions brought on during pregnancy, such as the " mask of pregnancy" The dark brown splotches that some women get on the body, mostly on the face. Not very pretty. Just a thought. Either way, in the end, your doctor is the best person to consult on this matter. You can call the office and speak with a nurse or if they don't know the answer, they can call you back with the answer, or perhaps have the doctor call you back when he gets a moment. Good luck.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2007, 08:23 AM
    I'm not a big fan of tanning for anyone. It ages you prematurely and can give you skin cancer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tanning without freckles? [ 19 Answers ]

I have pale skin and a lot of freckles! In the summer, my freckles really come out and cover my WHOLE face. I am going to be in a wedding soon wearing a strapless dress. All the other bridesmaids are so tan, so I'm going to start tanning soon so I have lots of color for the June wedding. ...

Tanning bed while pregnant? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm 9 weeks pregnant and I asked my OB if it was okay for me to lay in the tanning bed and he said that as long as my body temp stays relatively normal and doesn't get really high or anything that it won't hurt the baby. But a lot of me friends and family (most of which who are pregnant or already...

Tanning [ 2 Answers ]

OK... last few years I've spent each day of my summer either in class (college) or at work... so basically I'm pretty pale/white. I've recently joined a new gym and noticed they have those tanning machines, I've never used them, or actually "tanned" (purposely). Should I use that tanning machine,...

Going tanning for first time [ 35 Answers ]

Hi.. I could use some advice on using tanning beds. Any tips would be useful Thanxs

The best way to tan(tanning bed vs. Sun) [ 5 Answers ]

I have an olive complexion and its usually easy for me to tan but I rarely go to the tanning bed or tan outside. Is it healthier to tan inside or out? I've read some articles about different types of tanning beds have different types of uv rays and that its less harmfull than the sun. but I also...

View more questions Search