Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VSh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2007, 03:15 AM
    Tax withholding for F1 visa holder on OPT
    I just finished my education from Atlanta and while on an F1 visa will start working in NYC under my OPT at the end of which I will leave the country and return to India.

While I was working on campus, I did not have to pay state taxes and the federal taxes that were deducted at source would be returned to me once I would file returns.

Now, I understand that I am exempt from social security and medicare. When I start work under my OPT will I have to pay federal and state? For withholding, since I am a nonresident, do I need to complete form W-4 or just form 8233?

Is there a tax treaty for this?

Regarding NY state withholding, for it2104E allows one to exempt if:
    To claim exemption from withholding for New York State personal income tax (and New York City and Yonkers personal income tax, if applicable), you must
    Meet all of the following conditions:
    • you must be under age 18, or over age 65, or a full‑time student under age 25; and
    • you did not have a New York income tax liability for 2006; and
    • you do not expect to have a New York income tax liability for 2007.

Do I qualify as a full time student since I am on an F1 visa?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 21, 2007, 08:19 AM
    While on OPT, you are still exempt from Social Security and Medicare taxes, but ARE subject to federal and state income taxes. Hence, you need to complete a W-4.

You CAN claim exemption from NYC income taxes due to your OPT/student status, unless you plan on staying in NYC past your OPT period.
    VSh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2007, 01:43 AM
    Thanks for your response. How do I go about claiming exemption from NYC tax? Thanks again.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 25, 2007, 10:11 AM
    Just file a non-resident tax return with Form IT-360.1. If you want to attach a statement describing your status as a foreign student on OPT, so much the better, but the statement is probably NOT required.
    maxi_russia Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2007, 11:09 AM
    Hello everyone. I have the similar problem with my company. I am F1 visa holder student and do my OPT in Atlanta and graduated from an university in GA state. I gave documents to my company such as copy of VISA, I 94, and link from IRS.org that says F! Students are not subject of Medical and SS taxes. They send me a mail with says that I need to to have UPP 192 Form. But it is also says that UPP 192 for J1 students, but I am F1.
    What should I do? What kind of documents I need to submit to them to proof that I am exempt?
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 19, 2007, 07:11 AM
    Contact the HR department via phone and discuss it with the person in charge of your account. The F-1 visa and I-94 should be sufficient to show your exempt status.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

TAX Exempt for OPT/H1b visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

I have been working in New York from November of 2005 with OPT visa (F-1) and got H-1 visa in October, 2006. I was told I should file tax as a non-resident for 2006 but I'm wondering if I can still claim exempt as a student for the time I worked as a OPT holder. (I did not claim it for 2005) And...

Dependent Tax exmption for H1 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am planning to start working in USA on H1 visa from October 2007 and my wife will join me later in year 2008. Will I be able to claim for dependent tax exemption for year 2007 and 2008 though my wife joins me in end of year 2008? If my wife also gets H1 visa and accompanies me in year...

Tax return form for H1 and H4 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I am a H1B visa holder, came to US in January, 2006. I am married and I have two children, one is born in US and another one in Bangladesh. My wife and one child have H4 visa (dependent visa). I have social security number but they don't have SSC/TIN. Is there anybody can tell me how...

Tax Deduction for J-1 Visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in NY as a trainee (J-1visa). This year I had relevant medical expences (dentist), not paid by the health insurance. Can I deduct them? Thank you

Tax for H1 and H4 visa holder [ 5 Answers ]

I am in H1b Visa, my wife came here in H4 visa in Nov 15, 2006. Can I fill 1040 for 2006 jointly with my wife so that we can receive 13000 standard deduction? She needs a ITIN? She can not have a SSN. Thanks.

View more questions Search