Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BryanP1975 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2007, 09:23 PM
    Putting a Lean on a house or property after 25 years.
    I would like to know if it is at all possible to put a lean on a home or property for the cost
    Of the land the home was built on if the person has never paid the loan off and it has been
    About 25 years since the land was purchased. We have all the receipts and paperwork. A
    Little more info... My grandmother purchased a lot for her then son in law to have a home
    Built and now he is trying to sell the home but cannot because of his divorce from my
    Grandmothers daughter. He was supposed to pay her in the divorce and never did. But he also never paid my grandmother for the land. Is there any way to put a lean on the home or property now since it has been so long??
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2007, 06:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP1975
    He was supposed to pay her in the divorce and never did. But he also never paid my grandmother for the land. Is there any way to put a lean on the home or property now since it has been so long???
    Hello Bryan:

The short answer, In my opinion, is no.

However, in the law, nothing is quite as simple as it appears on the surface. Indeed, much depends on the agreement between your grandmother and her then son-in-law. And, what she did about it back then when he didn't pay. And, why there wasn't a lien placed THEN. Plus, there are other events layered on top that also are going to affect the eventual outcome. And, I haven't even begun to talk about statutes of limitations.

The divorce may or may not affect the outcome too.

Therefore, IF the amount of money in question is substantial enough to fight over, then you're going to need an attorney do it. YOU filing a lien yourself, EVEN if you can do it, would be like putting a band aid on cancer.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 21, 2007, 08:02 AM
    The problem here is the Statute of Limitations. Generally it would have passed long ago to file suit against him.

However, you need to look in that paperwork and see if a lien was filed at the time. Or contact a real estate attorney or title company to see what options your grandmother has.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord putting house up for sale before end of lease [ 8 Answers ]

I entered a 1-year lease on 3/1/2007. I was informed by a realtor on 6/4/07 that the house was going up for sale but not to worry, it might take months for it to sell... Can a landlord do this? Even if the house takes a year to sell, how about my right to enjoy a quiet environment (for sale...

Paying back tax instead of lean/mortage on house [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking to but a house near to city I live in and want to pay the back taxes instead of the mortgage on the house and own it from that. I don't know where to go or where to start looking to be able to do so. I am new to trying this or buying a house

My dog is almost two years how can I house brake her. [ 3 Answers ]

I was given a pomeranian a few months age. The person who gave her to me was given her and he had kids and two big dogs. Well she was abused and it's so hard to train her. Her isn't house briked but she dose go no paper for the most part but she tends to go on my bed often. The other day she went...

Fences over property lines for 20-30 years [ 1 Answers ]

Property lines and fences. Owner of vacant lot did not keep up property. Fences were put up to keep weeds and debri from comeing into ajoining lots. Our fence has been up for at least 20 years. In one place it is 1.55 feet over their property line in anther it is flush with the property line....

View more questions Search