Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2007, 01:38 PM
    I think he was upset because the "disagree" reputation is for when the information given is incorrect, like when you give someone advice that is just wrong, not when your opinion is not the same. You should refrain from giving reputation on a thread where there are mainly opinions being shared. That is why the option is disabled in the member discussion area.
    Tessy777 Posts: 191, Reputation: 37
    -

Jun 21, 2007, 01:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alkalineangel
    I think he was upset because the "disagree" reputation is for when the information given is incorrect, like when you give someone advice that is just wrong, not when your opinion is not the same. You should refrain from giving reputation on a thread where there are mainly opinions being shared. That is why the option is disabled in the member discussion area.
    Ok... sorry. I didn't mean anything by it.
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2007, 01:51 PM
    NHNF.. now you know! :)
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2007, 02:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tessy777
    Ok...sorry. I didn't mean anything by it.
    That's okay I still love you ;)
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Jun 21, 2007, 03:41 PM
    If you still believe in a 6000 year old earth, why do you still not believe in a flat earth or a earth centered universe? These were once church doctrine. Now you might say that these were also scientific theories at one point but also remember that during that time if scientist went against the church they might be burned at the stake. So that probably affected their results. Why not just incorporate accepted scientific theory into the religion like has been done in the past?
    ActionJackson Posts: 301, Reputation: 28

Jun 21, 2007, 05:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by michealb
    If you still believe in a 6000 year old earth, why do you still not believe in a flat earth or a earth centered universe? These were once church doctrine. Now you might say that these were also scientific theories at one point but also remember that during that time if scientist went against the church they might be burned at the stake. So that probably affected their results. Why not just incorporate accepted scientific theory into the religion like has been done in the past?
    The Bible never said anything about a "flat" earth or an "earth centered universe." Those beliefs belonged to an evil European cult that thrived during the dark ages. A powerful group who would kill anyone who disagreed with their unfounded conclusions. However, the Bible does say that the earth was created fiat (out of nothing) by the power of the Word. The Bible does say that the entire creation period was a literal 7 day span. If scientist teach something else then those scientists are wrong.
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2007, 10:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson
    The Bible does say that the entire creation period was a literal 7 day span. If scientist teach something else then those scientists are wrong.
    I'm sure you're missing a part of a logical conclusion here... hmmmmm :rolleyes:

Yes, there should be an "or" in there somewhere, I'm sure that isn't the only conclusion you can reach is it?
    incognito Posts: 92, Reputation: 24

Jun 21, 2007, 11:22 PM
    2 words, "Carbon Dating." So, "yes," I do personally believe that the Earth is much older than just 6,000 years.
    I feel that people take the Bible TOO LITERALLY.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 21, 2007, 11:55 PM
    This may seem like an odd question, but WHERE in the Bible does it say that the world is 6,000 years old ?
    Yes, I have read it, especially like the Old Testement parts, but I cannot recall ever reading anything like this.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2007, 12:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    This may seem like an odd question, but WHERE in the Bible does it say that the world is 6,000 years old ?
    Yes, I have read it, especially like the Old Testement parts, but I cannot recall ever reading anything like this.
    Quite honestly Ben, I do not think it says that it is 6,000 years old.

God created everything in 6 days and on the seventh day he rested. The idea is, I think. That each day represents 1000 years in God years. We do not know how many years from the time from adam and eve, to when Jesus came. It has been approximately 2,000 years past since Jesus came to earth.

So that would make the earth approximately 9,000 years old. So the question is how much time elapsped between Adam and Eve to When Jesus came?

I hope anybody can correct me if I am wrong. Or give us the facts about it?
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2007, 12:48 AM
    Jewish chronology dates Creation to September 25 or March 29, 3760 BC. I think that's where the belief comes from.
    ActionJackson Posts: 301, Reputation: 28

Jun 22, 2007, 03:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    Quite honestly Ben, I do not think it says that it is 6,000 years old.
    God created everything in 6 days and on the seventh day he rested. The idea is, I think. That each day represents 1000 years in God years. We do not know how many years from the time from adam and eve, to when Jesus came. It has been approximately 2,000 years past since Jesus came to earth.
    So that would make the earth approximately 9,000 years old. So the question is how much time elapsped between Adam and Eve to When Jesus came?
    I hope anybody can correct me if I am wrong. Or give us the facts about it?
    Bishop Usher of Ireland in the 16th to 17th century came up with a dating system that many believe is fairly accurate. He followed known dates backwards in history and came to his conclusions. If I'm not mistaken, he dated the world back to about 4000 BC or thereabouts. It's been a while since I did any studying in this department.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jun 22, 2007, 05:08 AM
    The time God took to accomplish what is stated below

Genesis 1
    1In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Can be viewed as a separate period from the Earth habitation preparatory days which followed allowing for the passage of billions of years.

Also, the Hebrew words referring to "day" permit the understanding of the seven preparatory days as being longer than twenty-four hours each.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2007, 06:07 AM
    See, this is what confuses me to no end. Two posts in a row from devout people with two wildly opposing conclusions: AJ says it's 6,000 years old and Starman proposes billions of years. :confused:
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2007, 09:24 AM
    Nk, I say it is very young two. I think though that the majority here believe the earth is young. Only a couple believe it is as old as scientists say.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    See, this is what confuses me to no end. Two posts in a row from devout people with two wildly opposing conclusions: AJ says it's 6,000 years old and Starman proposes billions of years. :confused:
    No reason for confusion, NK. It's a perfect example of the dilemma that however much one holds in awe, reverence and esteem the words in a holy book, and calls it "God's Word", one still ends up being forced to do the dirty and thankless work of interpretation. And however hard one tries to arrive at a literal (read "interpretation-free") interpretation, someone else who holds the book in just as high esteem as you do, and tries just as hard as you do to interpret it "correctly", will arrive at a different interpretation and disagree with yours. I can certainly see how vexing that would be, can't you?

In a way, it's not so very different from what geologists and other earth-scientists do in trying to interpret the evidence of their observations and experiments. The most notable difference to me is that scientists are not as prone to claim that their interpretation has to be correct because God revealed it to them, and therefore those who disagree with it are clearly Satan's spawn. Not to say, of course, that scientists are always models of christian charity toward their opponents in the debate.
    BossMan

Jun 22, 2007, 10:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    Only a couple believe it is as old as scientists say.
    Only when it comes to THIS ONE THREAD, Joe!!

I notice that my earlier question still goes unanswered.
    Had a feeling it would.
    Tessy777 Posts: 191, Reputation: 37
    -

Jun 22, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    It doesn' t say it is 6,000 years old. It says man is approximately that. Christians have many different ideas as to when God made man. Was it right after he created heaven and earth or did He wait millions of years before He said.. let there be light. Hope that helps.
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2007, 10:42 AM
    I don't think it is in the bible... at least I don't remember reading it... and I was raised Christian. With respect to all parties (I don't mean to offend anyone, and sometimes my words are read differently than I had intended) I think that the religious people who are dating this, by using the dates and times and different formulas, are doing exactly what the scientists are doing - taking small facts and figures, and trying to piece them together - mainly, guessing... You won't be able to tell one that the other is right. There is good evidence to both things, but I personally think that the evidence surrounding an older world, is a bit more solid.
    BossMan

Jun 22, 2007, 10:47 AM
    Hang on there Tessy;
    Quote Originally Posted by OP
    I was wondering how many Christians believed that the earth is indeed only 6,000 years old
    Errrrrm in the words of a ZX81, DoEs NoT CoMpUtE

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What equals 1,000,000 [ 12 Answers ]

I have been asked this question and have absolutley NO idea on what the answer is, someone please help me! Ok here's the question. If a = 1, b = 2, z = 26, is there a word that when the values of the letters are multiplied will make a product of one million? For example, BAD = (2)(1)(4) = 8.

What would you do with $50,000 ? [ 8 Answers ]

Ok lets roll some ideas, what would you do if you have $50,000? What will you invest in? Let me know your brainic ideas but keep it away from pubs and stocks :)

Earth three hundred years from now? [ 19 Answers ]

How do you envision the conditions of this earth three hundred years from now: 1. still divided by nationalism, 2. a nuclear holocaust wasteland, 3. or transformed by God into a global paradise earth without nationalistic boundaries?

Theft of about 10,000 [ 15 Answers ]

I'm thinking I'm going to go to court for this. No charges have been made as of yet. I am a 19 year old female, with no prior record. I stole the money by refunding it to my bank card at a place I used to work. I am willing to make restitution, and I do regret doing it. There was a prior...

Theft Under 5,000 [ 5 Answers ]

So I pretty much rock, I'm 19 from BC canada- aprehended this evening for theft under 5,000. Its my first offence - I was picked up by the stores security - it was a USED shirt worth like 6 bucks ( using it for halloween didn't have any cash on me) security wrote up a bunch of paper work and...

View more questions Search