Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    panhandle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2005, 03:18 PM
    Covering maple tree roots
    I have two red maples in my lawn whose roots I want to cover with mounds of "river rock" (about the size of tennis balls). Any problem?
    moongrl Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2005, 10:08 AM
    Covering tree roots
    Hi there,
    I would strongly advise against covering the tree roots with any type of mulch that would cause compaction. This will certainly cause problems for your trees. Sounds like a great idea, but it would be truly detrimental to the growth and life of your trees. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news... but keep on growin'
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2005, 10:17 AM
    I think if you look around, you will see older landscaped areas with trees continuing to thrive under the popular rock mulch. No reason it shouldn't work for you. Certainly better for the tree, you, and your lawnmower bouncing over the roots to cut the straggly grass under it. Put down a porous weed barrier, the felt like stuff, or heavily perforated plastic. It will reduce the weed growth while allowing water down to the tree roots.
    moongrl Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2005, 11:03 AM
    Hi again... it is true you will see this method in OLDER landscapes, but research has shown that it is best for tree roots, especially of older trees not to be compacted or covered with soil. They can however be covered in a 2 inch layer of mulch extending out over these important older tree roots. Although they are large and cumbersome they are feeder roots and are indeed important for the tree. Because I am a lover of trees and plants I always think of the plant first. The application of mulch will protect the tree roots, look great aesthetically, and also you will have less lawn to mow!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cutting maple tree roots [ 1 Answers ]

I am digging a 18" diameter hole for a carport footing. There is a 3 1/3 root that runs through the place where the hole is. The hole is about 20 feet from the tree and the root is about 2 feet from the surface. The tree is at least 40 years old and over 40 feet tall. Can I cut this root without...

Covering exposed maple roots [ 0 Answers ]

I want to cover my maple roots in the front and plant new grass. Can this be done with out harming the tree and how should it be done?

Maple tree roots and septic fields [ 1 Answers ]

My home is in a new sub and the association has planted a maple tree in the peninsula between the side walk and street. The concern I have is that my septic field is about fifteen feet away from where the tree is. How deep do the roots grow? Should I take this tree out and plant a different type of...

Maple tree roots. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - I purchased a 1922 Colonial on Long Island and in the front yard, about 20 feet from the house, is a grand old maple tree. It is between the sidewalk and the curb and is tearing up part of my sidewalk and curb. I really don't want to take the tree down and I'd rather have a contractor come...

View more questions Search