Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SMilligan17 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2007, 01:34 PM
    Small claims suit against employer?
    I'm out of work on legitimate disability and will probably lose my job either before I come back or they'll think of some reason to fire me shortly after I return. (I've seen them do this to a handful of people). I'm filing a claim with AFLAC, which is offered through my employer and I pay premiums on it, so it's not like I'm just out of work on vacation. Would I have a chance at winning a small claims suit for wrongful termination?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 20, 2007, 01:37 PM
    It depends on what they state as the reason for termination. Most likely you won't since, in at at-will state, there is no such thing as wrongful termination. The only time one can sue over a termination is when you are in a protected class (which includes certain disabled people) and the termination is directly due to the disability.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2007, 01:48 PM
    If you get fired when you go back to work and feel it is as a result of being out on disability, you can contact your local EEOC office who will investigate. It's a tough thing to prove, however, and, as ScottGem said, it depends on the reason you are given for being fired and what state you live in. If you get fired BEFORE returning to work you will have a stronger case.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2007, 04:32 PM
    Although I mostly agree with Jillian, it does depend on the particular situation. If you are out on disability and are one of 50 people that get laid off due to a need to cut costs, you probably don't have a case. If you are the only person, then it's a stronger case.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 20, 2007, 06:48 PM
    And will your disability be a permanent disability, and is it really a disability, ( there are very stict rules as to what is one that is protected by the EEOC)

But if you can not do your job because of your injury, tey only have to make reasonable accomidation, if it does not cost them too much. So if you can't do your job, and they can not find a way to allow you to do it, then yes they can still get rid of you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Small claims [ 7 Answers ]

My car was hit back in April. Since no one was hurt, and I was in such a hurry to get where I was going, I did not call the police. I quickly jotted down the man's information myself. However, I cannot get money out of the guy. He said he would pay and now isn't. The damage is approx $400.00. ...

Small claims [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to sue in small claims court... the situation is... I paid a sort of boyfriend my half of a vacation that never happened... I canceled the vacation in time to get a return for my share of the cost... it was all on his credit card... when it came back to his card he never gave me the...

Small claims [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know if there is a statue of limitations as far as small claims is concerned? From 2002 to 2006 off and on I was sending my now ex boyfriend money to stay in a hotel and supposedly money for us a place. I was to join him. But that did not happen. So is it to late to file? I can prove the...

Small Claims Suit Against Prior Landlord [ 2 Answers ]

Good Morning, I filed a small claims suit on yesterday against my prior landlord for violation of Chapter 92of the Texas Property Code. He did not refund my security deposit or send me an itemized statement of damages within 30 days. When I got home and check my mail I had a check in there from...

Small claims [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to sue someone in small claims court... he is a German man... he has lived in America for many years... speaks English well... his wife is telling me I must pay for an interrupter as English isn't his native language... he has got a drivers license in the us.. as well as has got a...

View more questions Search