Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Katie D Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2005, 02:40 PM
    Tile Shower stall leaking
    I installed a shower stall a year ago. It has begun to leak.

It is on the second floor, and I was able to open the ceiling just below it to see. The water is leaking from around the drain itself.

The shower stall pan was installed with a poly sheet.. according to the directions... so that it was sealed where I had to seam, and then joined to the drain with the drain cap. The I put the tile down over the top and grouted.

I have let water stand in the shower stall.. I am certain that the leak is at the drain.

I tried to reseal the grout... but that didn't work.

I hate the idea of having to tear up all that tile and lay it all over with a new poly sheet... what can I do to fix this?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 15, 2005, 12:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie D

It is on the second floor, and I was able to open the ceiling just below it to see. The water is leaking from around the drain itself.

The shower stall pan was installed with a poly sheet.. according to the directions.... so that it was sealed where I had to seam, and then joined to the drain with the drain cap. The I put the tile down over the top and grouted.

I have let water stand in the shower stall.. I am certain that the leak is at the drain.

I hate the idea of having to tear up all that tile and lay it all over with a new poly sheet... what can I do to fix this?
    Hey Katie,

Please describe the drain assembly you installed. Did it come with the shower pan? Did it have two flanges that bolted together? What's a "drain cap"? This "poly sheet", was it install under the pan as insurance against leaks? Describe the "seam" and how you sealed it. Perhaps this is something that came out since In retired but when we built a shower pan we made corner folds so there was no seams. Your question has me a little confused you state you installed a shower pan and then state that you tiled it. Shower pans have a drain and floor already installed, no tile is necessary with a manufactured shower pan. So I'm kind of at a loss to visualize your installation. Cheers, Tom
    Jamie88 Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Mar 3, 2007, 02:02 PM
    I know that this is hard to check now, but the shower drain itself had some hole around the rim where the poly sealed to the drain called "weep" holes, if you did not open those, the water may not all be getting to the drain. Unfortunately, if it's leaking around the drain, you may have to tear up the tile and substrate and check for holes in the pan. It only takes a small hole to leak. Hope this helps
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 3, 2007, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie D

The shower stall pan was installed with a poly sheet.. according to the directions.... so that it was sealed where I had to seam, and then joined to the drain with the drain cap. The I put the tile down over the top and grouted.

The polysheet was not a good method to start with. Usually a molded fiber/plastic pan with a compression fit waste drain would stop the problem. I realize a custom shower stall looks upscale with a tiled floor but unless it is done professionally it is the most difficult way to go. The polysheet has probably failed around the waste drain transition or it was punctured slightly in the process and the water backwicks to the drain area. I have given a description in a similar post reply that may help on making it work. Nm
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2007, 09:46 PM
    You say the shower pan has a poly pan. Good. You say it has a shower drain with weep holes. Good.
    Actually, you may think it is leaking at the drain because that is the only hole in the floor. It may be that you left a rock or a nail or anything sharp that penetrated the pan over a period. You may even have a leak at the shower valve and it is running under the pan and leaking out the hole in the floor. However, if you want to open up about 6 inches around the drain and repair, you can. There is an epoxy glue made specially for connecting shower pan material to shower pan material. My concern would be if I cracked the rest of the shower floor.
    Eliminate all possibilities before you break up the shower floor.
    edwa8224 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2011, 08:35 PM
    I just had a tile shower stall put in and the guy that put it in did not fix the floor right for the water to drain out what can I do about it or what will happen to my shower stall with the standing water?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stall shower (tile floor instilation) [ 9 Answers ]

I am replacing a tile floor in a stall shower. I hve come across two (2) products that are used under the tile. The tile would be cemented to the product used.One product is called HARDIBACKER and the other product is CEMENT BOARD. I am at a lose as too which product is better. Does anyone have...

Shower Stall is leaking through the floor [ 11 Answers ]

I have a stand up shower on the second floor of the house. We've had two chronic issues lately. The hot water faucet is difficult to shut off and sometimes takes a lot of pressure to shut off Second, the shower often fills with water and is slow to drain. Last night we developed a...

Fix water leaking through tile on shower wall [ 2 Answers ]

I have a shower where water is leaking through the tiles on the wall, leaving puddles on the floor. There are visibile gaps from where the tile shrunk along the lowest row of tiles right above the bathtub. Do I need to remove the tile and then recaulk, or simply recaulk where there are visible...

Shower stall leaking [ 2 Answers ]

Seems to be leaking at front by door. Do all shower stalls need concrete it seems to have give in the floor at this time has nothing under shower base what to do?

Leaking shower stall [ 4 Answers ]

Have a corner, "neo-angle" shower stall that's a few years old. It's begun leaking from the metal "frame" -- mostly from where a plastic "cap" goes on (cap is missing). It's 1/4 inch or so above the molded part, next to the door, but in the side frame, not the frame that holds the door. It also...

View more questions Search