Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2007, 06:57 AM
    2002 Ford Explorer: Remove door panel to replace exterior mirror
    I need to remove the door panel for the passenger side to replace the exterior mirror assembly.

I've googled for directions or a diagram but am coming up short.

Do you know if the how to for this is available somewhere online?

Thanks!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2007, 07:42 AM
    Rick, see if this helps:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable, recording any radio codes first.
    2. Carefully pry off the trim cover behind the inside door pull handle.
    3. Remove the plug covering the screw at the bottom of the door pull pocket, then remove the screw.
    4. Remove the speaker grille cover at the lower front corner of the window, if equipped, by gently squeezing in on the sides to disengage the lock tabs, then lifting it off. Remove five panel mounting screws: two along the bottom, two below the armrest, one each at the front edge and read edge, and one at the top-rear of the panel.
    5. Insert a large screwdriver, small pry bar, or trim-clip tool between the door panel and the door and gently lift out to disengage the clips one at a time along the bottom and sides of the trim panel. Some model have push pins, instead of clips.
    6. With the clips disengaged, swing the bottom of the door panel out and reach behind the panel to disconnect the electrical connectors for the power windows, locks, mirrors, and speakers.
    7. Lift the panel straight up to remove it from the door.
    8. For access to the inner door, carefully peel back the plastic watershield. To install, place the watershield in position and press it into place.
    9. For power mirrors, disconnect the wiring harness connector and wiring guide clips.
    10. Remove the three mirror mounting nuts and pull the mirror out to remove it.
    11. To install, guide the wiring through opening and follow removal steps in reverse.
    12. Before installation, install any push pins or clips that may have come out during removal in the door panel.
    13. Plug in any electrical connectors and lower the top of the panel into position in the door; then, push the front edge straight in to engage the guide pins.
    14. Press the door panel into place until all clips and push pins are seated. Install the retaining screw and cover plug. Replace panel screws.
    15. Replace the speaker grille and snap the door release cover panel back into place.
    16. Reconnect negative battery cable.

I couldn't find any instructions online. These are somewhat generic Ford steps, but I think they should work.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2007, 07:54 AM
    Thanks, Tx. I'll try this when I get home and let you know how it came out.
    DoctorDoom Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Dec 2, 2008, 12:51 PM

Removal of front door panels on a 2002 Ford Explorer:

I just did it on the driver's side of my son's 2002 Explorer (plain old version, not the Sport or other high-priced model).

The door handle assembly does not need to be disassembled, but the plastic trim around the handle must be removed. It just snaps in.

There are three screws holding the panel in, two at the bottom of the panel and one behind the power window button assembly. They have hex heads and require a metric socket or nut driver, 6 MM. The button assembly snaps in. A plastic tab is visible underneath it when the handle trim is removed.

The panel is held on by several plastic hooks that insert into matching receptacles in the door frame. Once the screws are out, the whole panel lifts upward and pulls out. There are plugs for the various electrical devices if the panel needs to be completely removed. For replacing the mirror, it does not.

Caution: if the replacement mirror doesn't come with mounting nuts, be cautious removing the old ones. Retrieving a dropped nut from inside of the door could be a nuisance.
    texican 60 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2009, 11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey View Post
    Rick, see if this helps:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable, recording any radio codes first.
    2. Carefully pry off the trim cover behind the inside door pull handle.
    3. Remove the plug covering the screw at the bottom of the door pull pocket, then remove the screw.
    4. Remove the speaker grille cover at the lower front corner of the window, if equipped, by gently squeezing in on the sides to disengage the lock tabs, then lifting it off. Remove five panel mounting screws: two along the bottom, two below the armrest, one each at the front edge and read edge, and one at the top-rear of the panel.
    5. Insert a large screwdriver, small pry bar, or trim-clip tool between the door panel and the door and gently lift out to disengage the clips one at a time along the bottom and sides of the trim panel. Some model have push pins, instead of clips.
    6. With the clips disengaged, swing the bottom of the door panel out and reach behind the panel to disconnect the electrical connectors for the power windows, locks, mirrors, and speakers.
    7. Lift the panel straight up to remove it from the door.
    8. For access to the inner door, carefully peel back the plastic watershield. To install, place the watershield in position and press it into place.
    9. For power mirrors, disconnect the wiring harness connector and wiring guide clips.
    10. Remove the three mirror mounting nuts and pull the mirror out to remove it.
    11. To install, guide the wiring through opening and follow removal steps in reverse.
    12. Before installation, install any push pins or clips that may have come out during removal in the door panel.
    13. Plug in any electrical connectors and lower the top of the panel into position in the door; then, push the front edge straight in to engage the guide pins.
    14. Press the door panel into place until all clips and push pins are seated. Install the retaining screw and cover plug. Replace panel screws.
    15. Replace the speaker grille and snap the door release cover panel back into place.
    16. Reconnect negative battery cable.

I couldn't find any instructions online. These are somewhat generic Ford steps, but I think they should work.
    The 2002 EB explorer I have has molded hooks as a part of the panel. Now have 2 broken expecting the christmas tree type push in fastners. That's the problem with forums.
    Texican 60
    curtishs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2010, 02:55 PM
    Try this one... http://www.bodyshopzone.com/archives/trim/door_panels/Ford/Explorer_1999/front_rear_99exp.html
    etbird Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2010, 11:01 PM
    Comment on DoctorDoom's post
    Just replaced the passenger side mirror on my 2002 Explorer and these instructions were spot on! R&R was much easier than I anticipated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2002 ford escape fuse panel [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for the layout of the fuses in the underdash fuse panel for a 2002 Ford Escape. I do not have an owners manual to refer to and need to verify which fuses control what. Thanks

2002 Ford Explorer Brake Lights Remain On After I Park And have left the Car. [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I am wanting to know why my rear lights remain on after I have parked and removed my key form the ignition. I don't even use the rear lights during daytime. Leads me to believe the lights must be brake lights. Can anybody tell me why these lights remain on? After I removed the Brake...

How to troubleshoot turn signal light on 2002 Ford Explorer Sports Trac [ 2 Answers ]

Right turn signal in rear is not working. Replaced bulb but didn't help and fuse is good. Any ideas as to what is going on?

Over drive ford explorer 2002 [ 1 Answers ]

My Ford Explorer started flashing the over drive off light. What dose this mean? I have not noticed any difference in performance.

View more questions Search