Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    heladoman Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

Jun 14, 2005, 12:07 AM
    Choosing a router.
    Can anybody recommend a good wired router for my home network? I have 3 PCs, 2 WIN XP SP2, 1 WIN 98SE. I also have a Speedstream 5100 DSL modem.
    I'm thinking maybe firewalled for extra security. So far I've put my eye on the Linksys BEFSX41. ANY suggestions are apreciated. Thank you!! :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 14, 2005, 05:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by heladoman
    Can anybody recommend a good wired router for my home network? I have 3 PCs, 2 WIN XP SP2, 1 WIN 98SE. I also have a Speedstream 5100 DSL modem.
    I'm thinking maybe firewalled for extra security. So far I've put my eye on the Linksys BEFSX41. ANY suggestions are apreciated. Thank you!!! :)
    I have the Linksys BEFRS41, its been functioning fine for about three years. I've found Linksys support to be excellent.

All routers have some firewall capability, even if its just NAT translation. I think Netgear has one that has a more high powered firewall. I would stick to the major brands; Linksys, Netgear, Belkin and D-Link. You can't go wrong with any of those.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2005, 09:40 AM
    Watch Staples. I got a 4 port Belkin for $10 after rebate 2 years ago. It does fine with my PC, old Mac, and telephone adaptor. Of course, with Linux, Mac 7.6, and whatever the phone uses, I am not hacker friendly. Cable company claims their modem has a good firewall too.
    heladoman Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

Jun 14, 2005, 12:29 PM
    Thank you. I'll look into one of those.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Choosing usa universities [ 3 Answers ]

Dear sir Please suggest me a university in the united states of america .I want to do phd in organic chemistry .I have planned to take GRE TOEFL . My academic percentage is 80% Please reply

Help in choosing between three fans [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all - new to the forum and have looked around a bit, but haven't found what I am looking for yet. My issue is this: I am getting a new condo that is very urban/loft in design, so I want to install fans to match stylistically. However, with 16 foot ceilings, I also want a fan that is functional...

Choosing a thermostat [ 4 Answers ]

I am looking to change my thermostat to a digital one. Propblem is, I don't know what to get. I don't know to get one for a heat pump, or central heat and air, If they both heat and cool with indoor and outdoor units, how do you know what I have? I have seen some thermostats for 2 stage systems,...

Choosing Hard Disk [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am planning to buy a new hard disk, but I don't have much knowledge in this field. I would like to ask your opinion on choosing the best hard disk. I have take a look on the quatation of this particular computer store in my area. There are two choice that in my mind 1. 40GB Maxtor ATA...

View more questions Search