Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amitajmera Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2005, 06:55 PM
    Unable to install Windows XP Professional
    I have more than 10 systems and am typically a whiz at computers. I have been installing WIndows XP since long but to my surprise, in one particular system, I am unable to install Windows XP Professional. The computer is a Pentium 4 - 1.7 Ghz on a 845LDM chipset board & 256 DDR. The surprising part, it easily installs windows 98 SE but when we try to load Windows XP Professional as an upgrade or as a fresh install on a different partition, both ways the system stops installing at anywhere between 75-90% of installation. The scrolling messages of Microsoft keeps on displaying as usual & changes also, but the installation does not proceed, nor does the system restart.

When I press the reset key, It says re-installing windows & the whole process repeats.

I have tried changing the SMPS, the RAM, the hard disk, the hard disk cable but to no avail.

Please help.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 14, 2005, 05:13 AM
    This may be a longshot but have you tried a) a different CD and b) a different CD Drive? If its consistently stopping at the same point, it could be a problem with either.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Jun 14, 2005, 05:44 AM
    XP Install
    Agree with everything Scott has said,but have you formated the whole drive,without any partitions? Where it says partition 1,or whatever,have you tried deleating that as well,then starting from a "blank drive".In other words,delete any partitons,format the drive,then let XP install normally.I know you've had over ten years experience with installs,and that you've probably tried this already.If you have apologies,but just thought I'd ask.

Nez

Jun 15, 2005, 05:29 PM
    Sorry guys, already these stuff.
    Yes I have tried changing the CD-Drive & with the same CD, it installs perfectly fine in another PC. The system does not actually hang, as I mentioned earlier, the keystrokes like numlock etc. the mouse, even the Microsoft playback keeps working but the hard disk led stops blinking & the percentage of install counter that is to say the reverse timer is stagnant.

Can it be a faulty motherboard... but I would mention again Windows 98 SE loads perfectly fine.

Jun 15, 2005, 05:30 PM
    Didn't help
    I have tried with a new hard disk & fresh partitioning also but to no avail. Even change of RAM is not helping.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2005, 06:11 PM
    Perhaps it's a pirated copy?

:rolleyes:
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2005, 04:45 AM
    How about trying a run of scandisk? It might be hitting a bad block on your hard drive.
    jnr1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2005, 10:18 AM
    Software,patch, driver...
    I heard that we need somekind of software or driver to fully format the hard disk. A computer guy told me that. But unfortunately I don't know what it is:confused:
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Dec 27, 2005, 06:28 AM
    Try removing all but the minimum devices, just leave cpu, ram hdd & graphics etc. it could be falling over on a particular device that uses a different driver than 98. Disable any onboard sound & network and remove any unneeded cards.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 27, 2005, 07:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jnr1234
    I heard that we need somekind of software or driver to fully format the hard disk. A computer guy told me that. But unfortunately i don't know what it is:confused:
    You need Format.com which is a command line utility. That's ALL you need to format a disk.
    Express1 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2005, 02:34 PM
    Your hard drive
    Whatever kind of hard drive it is, it should have came with some type of repair disk or setup CD. You might have to format the HD for Win XP. I had to do this to my brothers SeaGate 120 hard drive for it to accept windows xp and an OS
    SHAVED Posts: 275, Reputation: 41

Jan 24, 2006, 11:20 PM
    Formating
    Hi,
    There was another thread regarding formating for which I gave a link to KnickGie who formated the hard drive easily and I got an excellent remark from fredg. Why can't you try that link and format your hard drive easily.

www.dewassoc.com/support/win2000/format2000.htm
    KnickGhie
    New Member Join Date: Jan 2006

Format

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Shave,
    Thank you for all the help that you gave to me. I was able to format now m,y PC.

BR,
    YOLLY

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Unable to install printer [ 3 Answers ]

Seems to be one issue after another.. but hopefully this is minor one... 'used' to have a printer, but after various scares, scans, clean ups, etc.. Now cannot install a printer.. I click on 'add a printer' and get box saying operation could not be completed.. Win XP sp2 Updated files, ...

Windows XP Professional [ 4 Answers ]

Hello , I have Windows XP Pro . Shouldn't I have a Speaker Icon on my task bar to adjust my settings ? I find this odd I don't . If so , How do I go about getting a Speaker Icon Added . :cool: Thanks , Lisa

Tired of loggin on to Windows XP Professional. [ 1 Answers ]

When I boot my system, I'd like to go right to my desktop. I am tired of logging on or just hitting enter. I have windows xp professional. Someone please help.

Windows XP Professional [ 1 Answers ]

I've recxently installed Windows XP on my computer. With WIndows 98 I had an automatic shutdown feature. When I shut down my computer it automatically shut the power off. With XP this doesn't happen and I have to manually shut the power off. Is there a way to get XP to do what 98 did?

Windows XP Professional Question [ 6 Answers ]

I have Windows XP Professional, and I was just wondering if there is a way where I can open up imesh, or winmx to download songs and then log out, but the songs will keep downloading while someone else s on the computer? Thanks.

View more questions Search