Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    forebidden Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2005, 04:16 PM
    No AC Power
    Hi,

The AC in one my rentals would not come on so I checked all the wiring to see if something was loose, it wasn't. I crossed several combinations and when I plugged the blue wire to the Y terminal the system shut off completely. I bought a new heat pump thermostat but once plugged in, it says "No AC Power". I put the old one back on and nothing happens. I checked the outside unit by pressing the reset button and it comes on but as soon as I release the reset button, it goes off. The Air Handler is located in the attic and I have turned all possible circuits off and then on again trying to reset the Air Handler, but nothing happens. Is there a fuse or reset button that is internal to the Air Handler? What is wrong with my system?? The wiring on the Air Handler is as follows: R-Red, C-Blue, G-Green, W-W2, E-Black. The Air Handler is a Intertherm. Any help would be appreciated.

DE
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2005, 06:00 PM
    Seems the low voltage control transformer may have been or is now defective, as indicated by the "No AC power" error. You will need a volt meter that can handle 24 volt up to 240 volt. Find the control transformer and test both the line side which can have either 120 or 240 volt, and the output side for 24 volts.

You state the unit would not come on, then crossing the blue to the yellow caused the unit to shut down completely. If it shutdown completely, what was running?

The outdoor unit coming on proves there is line voltage present. There can be a reset button directly on the fan motor of the air handler.

Best to start cheking all the units for at least line voltage, then move onto finding and checking the low voltage transfomer.
    forebidden Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2005, 06:46 PM
    tkrussell,

Thanks for the reply. Prior to the crossing of the wires, the unit would come on, but would not cool. Once I crossed them, everything ceased. I will look for a reset on the fan motor and test the wires to see what happens.

DE
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2005, 08:08 PM
    Crossing the yellow and blue shorts out the control transformer. You may have burned it out or if lucky, blown a fuse. If the thermostat also controls the heat or has a fan only option, try them. If they come on, the transformer is OK, and the fault is in the A/C somewhere.

If the air handler was running, but the compressor and outside fan weren't, the relay may be bad. The Y and C terminals should be connected to the relay coil. When the thermostat switches 24 V power to the Y terminal, the relay should operate supplying power to the compressor. The air handler should have its own relay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Power dvd 5 [ 6 Answers ]

Right, I need some help with an error I keep getting while trying 2 watch dvds. It says that my " tv out put port of my diplsay card is not working properly" and I don't know how to solve this problem.. can anyone help?

No power [ 2 Answers ]

Please help me! I was changing a light bulb on my kitchen ceiling light. The type that has (3) flood lights pointed in different directions. After I replaced the bulb, I went to adjust the direction of the lights and the lights flickered when I did this. I paid no attention to it and contiued...

No power! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, I'm hoping for some help on a problem I'm having with my pc: it refuses to power on! Its not the power supply because I have swapped power supplies with my brother's PC and my old one works fine in his; his one doesn't work in mine. I thought it might be the power outlet, so I moved my...

View more questions Search