Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spyyder Posts: 35, Reputation: -2

Jun 13, 2005, 09:57 AM
    Wood Trim manufacturing and Carbon Fiber
    I have a jaguar S-type 2005. The gear shift knob handle on it is made from real/authentic Honey Burl wood (which matches the rest of the car's interior).
    Anyway, I was wondering how to manufacture a piece like this (like a 3D solid piece, NOT a flat type piece).

I have researched that the pieces made are coated with polyurethane or epoxy. So to manufacture a piece like this, would I simply have to get a piece of honey burl wood, shape it, then coat it? Is it that simple? How do others get their pieces so perfect?

Please describe the process to produce this kind of piece from scratch... I am talking about making a piece like this (this is not the one from the Jag)

Also, how do people shape CARBON FIBER? How do they produce a carbon fiber piece like this (yes, it is of genuine carbon fiber)

Also... any advice on how to make moulds /jigs to manufacture these wooden pieces to mass produce?

I do not have much knowledge with wood working (but I understand everything else).

Thanks a bunch! :)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2005, 12:11 PM
    The only way to produce a seamless piece of wood is to carve it. There are mechanical ways to carve wood. It is then coated with the epoxy or whatever.

The carbon fiber one likely is made from matching halves of carefully machined tool steel. It is simple to make fiberglass molds from existing objects, but it would be very difficult to make matching halves with very little mold line by hand.
    spyyder Posts: 35, Reputation: -2

Jun 14, 2005, 08:47 AM
    Ok, I understand that the wood pieces must be actually made (whether carved or machined) then coated.

HOWEVER, exactly how is carbon fiber pieces made (I still don't understand). The piece is brittle and very strong. How do you shape it (either mould it or bend it). Do you actually have to heat it to mould it over a piece? Can I use it like perspex (heat it up, then push it/vacuum it over a mould)?

How do people bend/shape carbon fiber for use on a car steering wheel (like around it - in some of those sparco/momo steering wheels)? I've got one, and its definitely one piece (not matching halves - because the pattern is so accurate and there is no glossy coat so the patterns are easily seen, and are definitely not two (or more) matching halves). :confused:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2005, 09:35 AM
    The mold is in 2 pieces. The material is forced into the closed mold. Air pressure, vacuum, or rotation may be used to produce hollow parts. Heat may be used to reduce cure times. Once cured, the mold opens to remove the part.

It is fairly easy to copy things like small boats, but don't think the finished all the way around things work that way.
    mrdezyne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2009, 12:57 PM

Carbon fiber is a fabric, woven from carbon strands into patterns, the most common is the herringbone look.
    CF parts are laid up just like a fiberglass piece, epoxy resin saturates the cloth as it is applied to a molded shape. This is how you get intricate forms. Once the resin hardens you are left with a very strong/ light weigth part.
    The CF pieces you have (assuming they are just flat panels) were laid up the same way except on a flat panel instead of a formed shape.
    If you can lay up fiberglass parts you can lay up CF parts as well, same technology, same process.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

V.S.Composites -FRP Manufacturing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Im Vikram from Madras India,and have just started my own Fibre Reinforced Plastic unit manufacturing Cabins and WaterTanks for the construction Industry. We would be really interested in exporting our products around the world and are looking to tie up with companies overseas for technology...

Sodium to Carbon? [ 6 Answers ]

1. Is it possible to convert Sodium to Carbon, if so, how? 2. How does one remove electrons from an atom who's first and second shell are "static"? 3. Is it possible to add an negative charge to the first shell of a Sodium atom and thereby converting it to another element without having to...

How to start a Pi#ata manufacturing business [ 1 Answers ]

Want to start a small pi#ata manufacturing business. How can I find out a way to manufacture them (at a business level)? The piņatas available at stores seems to be somehow manufactured in series and not hand made. I am interested on manufacturing piņatas in series instead of hand made piņatas....

Replacing trim [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of replacing some of the wood trim in my home. Some areas on the sheet rock does not have 2x4 reinforcement to nail to. How would you suggest I install the trim with? It seems that when I use the trim nails they will not hold the wood flush against the sheetrock.

View more questions Search