Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hisservant Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2005, 09:45 PM
    His Word
    First, please forgive the length of this post. I do not wish to "attack" or offend anyone. Rather this is a plea for accuracy and consideration to Him who is the Creator.

When one takes time to study The Bible in several of it's translations, and particularly in it's original languages of Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek, many many references to Christ can be found throughout both the Old and New Testaments. But, more importantly, by such study, one becomes much more immune to the pitfalls of scripture quoted out of context and/or from only one translation. Also, it will keep those of us with good intentions from quoting verses out of context, or using a translation which doesn't make the particular passage we are using as clear as possible. In another thread, a poster quoted from both Amos and Isaiah to try to say that God is both Good AND Evil, or at the very least the author and creator of both. However, when one studies those passages, both in context and in several different translations, one finds that the translations which use the term "evil" are incorrect or incomplete. The actual sense of the passages is not evil, as in "Satan is Evil Incarnate", but rather physical calamities or distress. In fact, the Amplified Bible adds the word "physical" in front of "evil." Or, in other words, God is the One who brings both the good things which are our reward for trusting in and following Him AND the punishments which we must suffer for choosing to ignore His graciousness and sovereignty.

Please, study scripture very carefully before quoting passages. If ever you have a question, please check with someone who can and does study scripture in the original languages. Most ordained pastors fit this description. Also, there are concordances and dictionaries which will help to clarify any and all passages in The Bible. Being sure of the original context and meaning of Scripture will only help to further the cause of Him to whom we owe everything. In other words, there should be no effort which we are not willing to put forth to be certain of what we are telling to others in regards to Him.

Thank you for considering my plea. If we all make sure we know what we are quoting before we quote it, we will significantly further our cause and strengthen our image in the eyes of those who question what we stand for.

In His Service,
    Hisservant
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Jun 14, 2005, 03:41 PM
    So true
    I totally agree with you. We all do tend to take only one scripture and therefore take it out of context. Sometimes one scripture or passage does fit what we are saying and it might be up to the person receiving the message to look around the passages to see if it applies to them in that same way at that same time. You refer to the different versions and original languages that the bible was written in. Unfortunately, we don't always have time to cross reference through the concordances and things so we do either have to rely on other people who have. The other problem is the English language. Trying to translate some of these words into our language is next to impossible. I have a friend who speaks Spanish and many times he is trying to explain something and "can't put it into English" as he puts it. I get frustrated myself because I am not able to really study the bible like I want to making sure I don't take something out of context. (This may or may not make sense). I am agreeing with Hisservant's comment but also understanding that there are a lot of circumstances why one would quote a scripture out of content. I think more importantly is we have to try to be more discerning as to what is being said to us. This is a good forum to sometimes bounce ideas off each other to be fine tuned so when we get out into the world people may listen more and want to follow Christ instead of feeling like they have to.
    blessed1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2005, 04:12 PM
    His servant... your comments are to be commended. God Bless.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2005, 10:29 AM
    Comments
    Hi,
    Thank you for your comments.
    If reading things differently for different people did not exist, there would only be one Church.
    Best wishes,
    fredg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Capitalizing Every Word [ 37 Answers ]

What's Up With Some People Capitalizing Every Word In A Sentence? :D I've noticed this in some posts, and I'm wondering if it has a special meaning in cyberculture, similar to the way using ALL CAPS signifies shouting. I have to admit it's slightly annoying to read and very annoying to type! :p

New word for us to add... [ 7 Answers ]

We have TRUST, RESPECT, COMPROMISE, (What did I miss?? ) New word to add... very important... BALANCE!! You need balance in the relationship to make it work. Give the person space... Everyone needs other things in life... not just the relationship... balance includes being gwith your...

MS Word - multiple instances of the same word? [ 1 Answers ]

In MS Word, is there a way to highlight a section of text and get some sort of read on which words appear the most often? Thanks Paul

Using Word [ 1 Answers ]

I have Windows 98 and I want to know how to make templates for different size paper and different margins. Please make it simple, as I have tried about 3 hours and cannot get it right, and thank you so much for your help Kathryn Klenk [email protected] I write a lot of letters and copy...

Adding a word and its meaning to Word Dictionary [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I know how to add a word to the existing system dictionary in MS Office 2002. Now I need to know how to add a meaning to the new word which I added into the dictionary. Can anyone suggest the procedure. Thanks in advance. SAI

View more questions Search