Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sherylaustin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2007, 12:09 AM
    My son needs a Birth Certificate and a SSN#
    I am trying to obtain a birth certificate and a social security number for my son. I have been trying since he was born a year ago. I had no prenatal care throughout my pregnancy, I delivered my son by myself at my home with no witnesses. I then was going to give my son up for adoption, but after I got an adoption attorney, I decided to keep my son at the last moment. The hospital where my son was taken after the birth, say is that since he was not born in that hospital THEY cannot issue a certificate of birth. I currently have a Lawyer, through the state of GA’s Legal Aid, however it has been six months and she has yet to do anything. She say’s is a unique situation and she is unsure of what legal process to go through. My life as well as my son’s life has been put on hold because of this issue. He has several medical problems that need attention, but without his Birth Certificate and SSN it is extremely difficult for him to receive the necessary surgeries needed. I would just like to know exactly what steps I need to take or do in order to settle this whole ordeal. Thanks/.
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Jun 19, 2007, 05:57 AM
    Get a different attorney. You are going to probably need to do a DNA test to establish maternity (they want to ensure you didn't kidnap or find the baby, or illegally "adopted" him).

Bornfree!- Laura Shanley's THE Unassisted Childbirth Page!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 19, 2007, 06:01 AM
    Contact the county clerk and ask what is necessary for issuing a birth certificate in this instance. If you don't get any answer, I would try contacting a local politician or media and enlist their help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Birth Certificate [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancé just left for Iraq this week. We are expecting a baby in November. Since we aren't married how can he be put on the baby's birth certificate?

Birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

What do I have to do to get my daughters father to place his name on her birth certificate. We are not married but we did have a DNA test done prior to her birth. If he is unwilling to do it ion his own can the courts ask him to do this? I think she has the right to have his name on there.

Birth certificate [ 5 Answers ]

My situation is that when I was 18 years old I was told by a person that was a family friend that the lady who raised me was not my mother. He said he did not know who was my mother but he knew she was not my mother because she told him she was not my mother but did not go into detail. She denied...

Birth certificate [ 5 Answers ]

As an adult is there any way to get your parents names off your birth certificate? Can that area of the birth certificate be blank?

Birth Certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I just received an updated copy of my husband's birth certificate, he will be retiring soon and needs to show proof of his birth date. On the certificate it shows his mother as being the lady who adopted him when he was in his 40's. (for legal purposes, estate and other) Is this done as a...

View more questions Search