Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cloudman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2005, 05:54 AM
    Vent pipe clog! Help
    Well first of all the vent pipe is clog with something, toilet don't flush the washer drain gurgles, shower does not drain right either, think because of the vent problem, how do I clear my vent out, The house was like this when I bought it, and they told me that the vent is probably clog with something, and I think I know why, because the vent does not have anything on it to to keep stuff out, do I need to get someone to clean that out or can I do this myself without making matters worse. Thanks in advance!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 12, 2005, 06:36 AM
    Clogged Vent
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudman
    well first of all the vent pipe is clog with something, toilet don't flush the washer drain gurgles, shower does not drain right either, think because of the vent problem, how do I clear my vent out, The house was like this when I bought it, and they told me that the vent is probably clog with something, and I think I know why, because the vent does not have anything on it to to keep stuff out, do I need to get someone to clean that out or can I do this my self without making matters worse. Thanks in advance!!
    Since you are a new home owner let me explain a little about vents and their function and then I'll address your problem. When you pull a plug or flush a toilet the water going down the pipe sets up a suction. This has to be relieved by outside air. Hence a pipe through your roof. If the vent is blocked by a birds nest or a dead critter the water will pull suction through the nearest trap and you will hear a gurgle. It may be a fixture trap or the toilet may talk to you but you will hear it someplace. And now you know about vents.
    The only way to unclog your vent is to snake it out from the roof. If you're handy and know what vent's clogged you can rent a sewer machine and do the job yourself. Where I live we get birds, dead critters, leaves, etc. clogging out vents. The answer to that is to wrap heavy screening over the top of the vent pipes. If you feel that you can do the job by yourself and need instructions, I can walk you through the process. Good luck, Tom
    cloudman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2005, 06:56 AM
    Thanks Speedball1, I'm not really sure where exactly the clog is I just assumed that it is in the main vent pipe, since there is no venting on anything, if a snake is ran through to clear it, will it make things worse, by cloging up the main sewage pipe in house or just on clog it and everything will be honky dooray, Thanks in advance. :)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 12, 2005, 10:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudman
    Thanks Speedball1, I'm not really sure where exactly the clog is I just assumed that it is in the main vent pipe, since there is no venting on anything, if a snake is ran through to clear it, will it make things worse, by cloging up the main sewage pipe in house or just on clog it and everything will be honky dooray, Thanks in advance. :)

You go down the lavatory vent from the bathroom that gurgles. The snake is designed with a auger bit that augers in and retrieves whatever it augers in to. It doesn't "push" anything ahead of it. Be advised that your house has more then one vent, but as a rule the vent that services the fixture that gurgles is the one to snake out. Don't forget to put screening over the vent pipes before you climb back off the roof. Best of luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air Vent pipe replacement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: Live in an old house that has exterior metal air vent pipe--it exits the crawl space through foundation blocks (above ground), runs up the clapboard, through the roof eave. A wood cabinet has been built over that portion of the house, so now there is no easy access to working with the pipe. ...

Could this be a vent clog? [ 1 Answers ]

A few weeks ago, I noticed while taking a shower that the toilet was making a loud bubbling noise... soon after the noise started - the water in the shower began to stop draining. Since the shower and toilet are right next to one another, I assumed that there must be a clog in the drain somewhere...

Moving a vent pipe [ 5 Answers ]

I recently took out a wall that was part of a closet to make room for a double sink in the bathroom. The Vent pipe 3" was in the wall. I cut it at the floor , put a 90 to the left , went over about 2 feet then another 90 up through the ceiling into the attic where I went at a 45 to the right then...

Can frozen drain pipe be clog? [ 4 Answers ]

Thanks for being an expert. All the fixtures in my ground-floor bathroom addition refuse to drain. The water runs (not frozen pipes), and the plumbing in the rest of the house is fine. Before it stopped draining there was a few days of water sputtering up the shower drain and/or the sink drain...

Drain to vent pipe [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I want to add a small sink next to my toilet, it is a cement slab floor, can I drain the sink into the vent stack of the toilet. A trap will be used for the sink. I really want to stay away from busting up the floor.

View more questions Search