Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pwd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2005, 09:01 PM
    Too hot upstairs too cold in the basment!
    I'm trying to fix a problem in my house. There is only one thermostat and it is on the main floor but heat rises! So upstairs is really hot! In the basement it's really cold! What is the best way to fix this? I am renovating the basement so I would like to fix this before I cover the ducts up. I was thinking have 3 zones with 3 different thermostats. But how would I control air flow if the upstairs vent is connected to the main floors vent?

Thanks,

Eric
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2005, 08:54 AM
    For 3 zones, you would need motorized or solenoid operated dampers for the ducts leading to each zone. The thermostats would need to be wired to both operate the dampers and start up the central air. You would need to add 2 more thermostats and run wires to the dampers and compressor. If you do go that route, I can work with you on the details of the wiring.

I would start be examining the existing ducts for manual operated dampers that may be biasing the air flow towards the basement and downstairs for heating purposes. How is the heat distribution in the heating season? As you say, heat rises, and you need more air flow to the lower areas in the heating season. Even closing vents to the basement might help. Insulating the ducts in the basement should help too, along with maybe enlarging the ducts to the upper floor. Look things over, and post back what you find. Most homes maintain acceptable comfort levels without the complication of multiple zones.
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Jun 13, 2005, 04:18 AM
    Where is the cold...
    Quote Originally Posted by pwd
    I'm trying to fix a problem in my house. There is only one thermostat and it is on the main floor but heat rises! So upstairs is really hot! In the basement it's really cold! What is the best way to fix this? I am renovating the basement so I would like to fix this before I cover the ducts up. I was thinking have 3 zones with 3 different thermostats. But how would I control air flow if the upstairs vent is connected to the main floors vent?

Thanks,

Eric
    ... air return located upstairs? This part of the HVAC system has much to do with the comfort level in a 2-story home as it governs the flow of the air from the fresh air ducts back to the blower intake. Is there a filter in the upstairs return and is it clean?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help me cool my upstairs [ 5 Answers ]

I just got a brand new 88,000 BTU heat/AC unit on my house. My downstairs is very cool but my upstairs (which has a vaulted ceiling) is very hot. I have one floor vent in my bedroom and all the vents in the upstairs are open. I have heard of a fan or blower that you can put into the floor vent...

Upstairs too hot, downstairs too cold [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a 2-story house built in 1949 that has a forced air heating and air conditioning system. Of the 4 rooms upstairs, the 2 largest ones do not get cool enough. At the same time, the first floor is plenty cool and the basement is frigid. What is the most cost-effective and simple way to...

Slow drain upstairs [ 3 Answers ]

Both my tub and sink drain very slowly upstairs. They each have their own pipe that runs to the vertical drop. I'm wondering if maybe they are not vented properly, or something else. The pipe running to the verical drop is galvanized pipe. The sink is about 1 ft from the veritcal drop, and the...

No water upstairs! [ 2 Answers ]

We are replacing our bathroom. In anticipation of putting the new bath in, we turned off the stopcocks. There was a slight delay in replacing the bath so we turned the stopcock back on. Problem is, we have water downstairs but no water upstairs. There is a very slight trickle of hot water but no...

Heat upstairs [ 3 Answers ]

I just moved into our house beginning of May. We live in the Northeast so we got some cold nights and required to turn the heat on to keep the kids warm at night. I am not to savvy on this so bare with me and ask as many questions as you like and I'll try to answer them. My house is 67years old and...

View more questions Search