Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rob Posts: 72, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2007, 04:22 AM
    Windows Firewall; Defender (Vista)
    I have a new PC with Vista Home Premium. I use cable internet access.

Vista already has Windows Firewall as part of it. Does that mean I don't need to download an outside one like Zone Alarm which I used on my old PC?

I also used to use AdAware, Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster, all on advice of the good folks here. Vista has something called Windows Defender, which blocks "malware." Does that replace all or any of those programs?

Thanks in advance.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2007, 04:41 AM
    Thw Windows firewall is indeed a software firewall much like ZoneAlarm. You don't need both. I haven't played with Defender yet but I believe it performs the same function as SpyBot and AdAware (Defender is the next generation of Giant's Anti-Spyware product that MS acquired).
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 18, 2007, 05:28 AM
    I use Defender on my XP and Vista machines. It seems to work very well. I occasionally do a supplemental scan with AdAware but very little is caught.

Windows firewall is just OK and you might want to replace it with something stronger. However, if you have a home network with a NAT router, that and the Windows firewall may be enough.
    Rob Posts: 72, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2007, 02:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    However, if you have a home network with a NAT router, that and the Windows firewall may be enough.
    I knew there was a reason I posted this to the beginner forum! How can I tell if I have that? The cable guy installed the internet service. I think it's some type of networking even though I have only one PC. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who is my public defender? [ 4 Answers ]

I need to find out who my public defender is again. I haven't seen her in a long time and Im a juvenile court case. I have my court case# or so I think unless it was changed again =/

Windows firewall [ 1 Answers ]

In my windows firewall under exceptions, I have 6 windows checked all for media connect. Is this OK or should I uncheck them? While I'm at this question concerning windows firewall what would happen if I were to uncheck all the boxes under exceptions? Thanks very much Do you need to update your...

Public Defender [ 5 Answers ]

How can a person who has been appointed a public defender change public defenders? My brother is in jail and awaiting trail. His public defender wants him to plead guilty because he doesn't want to do any work on the case. My brother wants to get another public defender to represent him, can he...

Windows XP Workgroup + XP Firewall [ 2 Answers ]

My friend is trying to set up a small office network of 3 computers all running windows xp home. It's a very simple set up of a hub connecting the three computers A, B & C He's asked me to help him set this up but we have come across a slight problem. It would seem that the xp firewall is...

View more questions Search