Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mizzfizz Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2007, 04:51 AM
    Drug addiction
    I am addicted to cannabis, and starting to take cocain regulary, I also have started drinking with out a days break, I fear I am on the brink of losing control.
    Can anyone give me basic steps to help me quit.
    I've made appointment with gp, again, no luck last time.
    Just the answer to the question would be apprieciated, as a know full well the dangers and effects of my addiction. Im in my late 30's.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2007, 05:00 AM
    Acknowledging your problem is already a start!

I would try your hardest to get off your cocaine habit asap.

Take up a sport, or even join a group.

Drugs become a problem because half the time they are in control.. when that happens tehn you have a problem.
    mizzfizz Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2007, 05:04 AM
    What like pop group?. but I can't sing or play an instrument
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2007, 05:08 AM
    No a group to talk about your problems.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2007, 05:25 AM
    Hello m:

Stop taking drugs!

What?? Do you think there's a better answer?? You think it has to be more complicated than that? You think you have to get to the core of your problems before you stop?? Is your GP going to stop for you??

You can go to groups. You can get support here. You can go to counseling. You can pray. You can do ALL that crap, but in the final analysis, it's YOU who has to stop.

So, why don't you cut to the chase - and just stop? You'll save a bunch of money and time.

excon
    wickedimp Posts: 57, Reputation: 14

Jun 18, 2007, 05:26 AM
    Hi MizzFizz,

I'm a drug addict of some 20 years, been in and out of rehabs all my life, it's no fun. I'd stay clear of the coke if I were you... weed will get very boring very quickly and should loose it's appeal after a few years.

If you're really worried about addiction you can seek out a group like Narcotics Anon or my favourite Cociane Anon. Google either of those and you'll find a group in your local area.

Peace
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 18, 2007, 06:05 AM
    I always recommend you start with a physician, and be monitored as there may be other issues to deal with besides the drink or drug, but you can go to the true experts at getting clean and sober, through your local chapter of Alcoholics Anonymous, or Narcotics Anonymous, they are experienced with addictions and excellent support.
    margarita_momma Posts: 299, Reputation: 46

Jun 19, 2007, 02:52 PM
    My advice would be to start with rehab. I have been around cocaine and meth addicts my entire life and I can see what it does to them. Coccaine is one of the hardest drugs to drop. You might be able to get yourself off it for a few months but as soon as something bad happens in your life, your right back in it. Rehab will help you with steps to take to stay away from it and treatments to stop your cravings. Good Luck and I wish you the best.
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Jun 22, 2007, 06:34 AM
    I had a best friend,and we promised each other no matter what,we would never use needles to catch a buzz.Well,she went down that dirt road,and I haven't seen her in 3 years.Her brother said she lost her kids,because the last baby she had was born addicted to meth.She was beautiful,men would stop and stare when she walked past them.Last time
    I saw her,her teeth in front,were black and broken down to jagged nubbs.She weighed about 100 lbs and had black bruises all over her.Sometimes,the drugs become more important than anything.If a mother can lose her kids and still continue this lifestyle,without a shred of guilt,then you deserve to be punished just like these poor babies.
    1busymaniam Posts: 29, Reputation: 6

Jun 22, 2007, 07:45 AM
    mizzfizz ,
    Your bottom is coming soon . You are going to detox I just don't know if it will be voluntary or court mandated ? Marijuana may not be physically addicting but I say it kills motivation and ambition so I say it is emotionally addicting . You were worried about passing a drug test last month so stop marijuana .
    The cocaine must be stopped somehow someway . Of course you should start with a doctor visit or visit LCDC or psychiatrist ? You can try quitting cold turkey but can't suggest it because we just can't know your history / background . I did quit drinking after 35 years of heavy drinking , cold turkey but necessary at the time . A long story...
    My background with narcotics is what I see or read because I did not use narcotics .
    I suggest AA of which I have attended for 360 days . In our group drug addicts are always welcome ! Or maybe you are near a NA chapter ? Go to meetings and keep going back . You will be surrounded by other screw ups just like you ! You have a living problem . Just get some exposure to AA . You don't have to get it right , right away .
    Get the big blue book of AA and read the first 164 pages .
    Good luck... Russell
    jacquieh Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jun 22, 2007, 11:57 AM
    Hi mizzfizz
    I hope your doing OK I have been around addiction for many many years losing some very close friends to this s**t, and don't think a family member has got many more months left to live, part of this was the reason I trained to be a psychi nurse and after witnessing that people addicted to drink and drugs get a bit of a raw deal on wards I decided to work solely with addictions. All I can say is you'l know when you need to give up there are unfortunately no miracle cure, you need to want it more than the drugs that's when you'l feel your at rock bottom sadly people don't realise there rock bottom till death, sadly my brother I believe is going to be one of them!! Cannabis and alcohol are both depressants so your prob now taking the coke (a stimulant ) to lift you. Coke is excellent for confidence till it gets a grip then you need it to feel normal and then you just need it! Unfortunately rehab in this country is so hard to get a place and all the focus is on heroin and the criminal justice system but really hope you get out of this cycle and never give up hope
    alkaline Posts: 61, Reputation: 20

Jun 22, 2007, 12:49 PM
    I agree with the advice already given, you need to tackle an addiction head on. I wanted to add a few ideas of my own that I know can help things along for some people.

When you have an addiction, especially a drug or alcohol related one, I think one of the best things you can do in the beginning to start is avoid being around the subject of your addiction, as well as people that condone or share the addiction.

Try to avoid hanging out with friends that use, it will make it harder to quit if everyone else in the room is doing it and it is readily available. Hanging with a group of drug friends will make it harder to identify behaviors you want to stop because they share those same habits.

If you can, make an effort to spend time around people that are NOT OK with drug use, or who you would be very unlikely to want to be high or get high around. Spending time around people that don't use will force you to fill your time with different activities. It will also make it difficult to chat and reminice about times or events that happened when you were high. They either weren't there or won't want to hear about it.

Also, take note of things you enjoy doing when you get high. Are there TV shows that you love to watch when you are high? Certain music that is "so much better" when you're high? Stuff in general that you just do very often when you're high? Stop! Try to avoid those things in the beginning, they'll remind you of the fact that you are NOT high. I know it may sound like silly advice, but it can make a world of difference in helping you not think as obsessively about the addiction when you're getting sober. Watch new shows, listen to new music, do new activities. You need to change your mind, and you need to avoid reminders of getting high. You don't want to do anything in the beginning that will make you "miss" being high. Eventually that should get easier with time.

This may sound like weird advice, but I promise you it has helped and could help you.

And one last thing... appreciate the small victories. If you had an everyday habit and quit for a week and then slip one night --- DON'T GIVE UP! Take it as a small victory. Say "I used to use everyday, but I made it a whole week. I am capable of doing that. I can stay away from this." Then brush yourself off and start over again, and see how much longer you can make it this time! Do not let a small relapse make you forget the big picture! No one is perfect, and luckily you don't need to be perfect to get clean, you just need to try hard and not give up on yourself.

Goodluck!!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2007, 10:12 AM
    I think you need to address the issue of why you feel sorry for yourself and use, why you need drugs to celebrate, why you need drugs to comfort you, why you need drugs to be your friend. Why you need drugs to sleep, wake up,have sex, not have sex, laugh, cry, eat, not eat or to just plain live. I think after you figure this out then, you will be able to live with out them. :) wishing you peace and to be able to live with yourself and your stiuation without being numb!
    praders1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2007, 05:11 PM
    I would say to stay away from the booze I'm a alcoholic and it was very hard to quit> I heard a lot about coke but never tried it
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2007, 02:06 AM
    Hi, you probably can't do it alone. I mean, just talking to yourself about it. That's why AA, Narcotics Anonymous and Cocaine Anonymous are important to go to. Please don't sit there all by yourself. When an addict is alone, she is outnumbered.
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Dec 13, 2007, 04:47 PM
    An addict doesn't need a reason to use, that's what a using addict does. Check out Narcotics Anonymous, NA, homepage find a meeting and go. Don't use. If you don't pick up, you can't use.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Alcohol Addiction [ 5 Answers ]

Is there a cure for an alcoholic

Addiction [ 25 Answers ]

Help. I just found out that my best friend as an addiction for sleeping tablets called Stilnox. She doesn't only take them to help her sleep but she takes them evey day soon after she awakes. She takes about 5 a day. I keep trying to her she don't need them but she is adamant she does and can't...

Devoloping An Addiction [ 22 Answers ]

About maybe 4 months ago I stopped smoking weed and I was doing really good. Job hunting and everything. Started going to a commuinity college and keeping myself busy. Then 4 months later *now* about maybe 4 weeks ago.. I started going to this guys house across the street and there all...

Family addiction [ 5 Answers ]

My brother whom is 19 years old is a heroine addict and is living in my parents home. My parents have tried everything to get him help. He has gone to rehab and relapsed, nothing seems to be working. What other options can be taken?

Janes Addiction [ 1 Answers ]

Who is the guitarist in the band Janes Addiction

View more questions Search