Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ttunez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2005, 06:45 PM
    Wood siding scenario
    Help me! I'm at my wits end here. I've scraped, painted, sanded, filled, grinded, scraped for years on my garage siding ( 8" wood) and nothing I do seems to last! It flakes, bubbles and checks all over.
    I've used oil based primer, as I've been told, and nothing seems to work. Before I take a match to this bonfire-in-waiting, please give me all the suggestions you can!

Paint brush at the ready, :o
    T
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2005, 08:36 PM
    The problem could be moisture coming up through the concrete floor and out through the wood. Ventilation or a vapor barrier paint on the inside might help. Frankly, I would hang up my paint brush and cover it with vinyl.
    ttunez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2005, 05:58 PM
    Wood siding
    Ok, vinyl is an option. But what was done BEFORE vinyl? Did the deadmen re-paint every year? What can I do to this wood to make it act right? :)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2005, 07:36 PM
    There was a lot of peeling paint. Also, buildings were not built near as tightly, allowing moist air to escape. You used to be able to buy little metal vents to put in the siding to let the moisture out.
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9

Jul 14, 2005, 02:08 PM
    You can be fairly sure that it is a moisture problem. I dealt with this also until I learned on a "This Old House' episode that water migrates through siding, especially in garages. If you bring in a wet vehicle or one that has ice and snow on it, whatever water hits the floor will have to go somewhere, and if it isn't vented will find it's way out through the walls. I crack a window whenever the floor is wet and squeegee whatever water I can down the drain. Figure out a way to keep the moisture level down and you will solve your problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loose aluminum siding [ 1 Answers ]

My 50 yr old siding is in good condition, but there are places where the end of a piece has bulged or popped slightly. Also, the base of very bottom row tends to be loose from the house. This allows critters inside. How do I secure them? Tank you.

Siding [ 2 Answers ]

I have seen on the TV ads for siding being a certain amoutn per square feet. Without having to call the company I would like to figure out how that would be for my house. Can anyone tell me how they figure square footage. Would it be as simple as the length of the house by the height on each side?...

Cedar Siding installation [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing 18" Cedar siding boards. My problem is installing them around a bay extension where the angles are 22 degrees. No matter how precise I cut those joints, they look awful. I waste more material than needed and I cannot make the joints look neat. I have had to resort to using...

Vertical siding [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm interested in re-siding my house with vertical siding, but was wondering if anyone knows of a supplier that makes it in lenghths of about 25ft so that I can do the whole of the house in one run? Otherwise I'll have to do it in sections 12 ft high and run a j channel across, but I'd...

Siding [ 9 Answers ]

Is there an easy way to take aluminum siding off a house? I need to take a little section off to look underneath there and I am having a hard time. It is nothing like vinyl siding.

View more questions Search