Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    monali Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2007, 10:17 PM
    Learning Difficulty
    I am located in Singapore. My daughter aged 10 has learning difficulties. Her understanding of maths and english seems to be at level 1-2. Showing borderline intelligence.
    How can she progress?
    Should she continue in the mainstream education?
    KMSRyana Posts: 142, Reputation: 26

Jun 18, 2007, 12:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by monali
    I am located in Singapore. My daughter aged 10 has learning difficulties. her understanding of maths and english seems to be at level 1-2. Showing borderline intelligence.
    How can she progress?
    Should she continue in the mainstream education?
    I am not a teacher, nor a doctor... However, I would look at how she does in other areas. If she seems "normal" in other areas and is not struggling in other subjects, I would guess that she's simply struggling to grasp what she is being taught. If so, you've got a challenge trying to find ways to make the subjects relavent for her. Do a thorough comparison of ALL areas of her learning before you make a snap decision. When I was in high school I scored a perfect score in math on my SAT exam... however I almost failed (D) calculus. I could tell you the answer to a very difficult math problem, but couldn't prove how I got my answer, even though it was right. And calculus is about showing HOW you got there. So make sure you compare all of her subjects. If she's only struggling in those two areas, maybe you need to explore a different approach to those two subjects until she grasps them.

Good luck!
    RSM Posts: 43, Reputation: 4

Jun 18, 2007, 03:16 AM
    Does level "1-2" correspond to first to second grade in the United States? If so, it is essential that you get her some remediative help. The problem is that as the grades go up the work gets more conceptual which makes it harder for children to rely on memory in order to get by. If there are testing options within your public school, I would look into them (depending on what level 1-2 means). She should be getting additional support if she is struggling.
    tleereed Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2007, 08:58 PM
    Hi there. I am a Learning Disability Teacher. Any help at a young age is very important for her future education and her confidence! Most children if not helped early enough give up on themselves and it is hard to get their enthusiasm back! If possible at such a young age, get her IQ tested. High IQ but struggling with learning is a true learning disability. Low IQ and Low work output is Special Needs. Remember there are a lot of grey areas in this! Be patient but don't give up!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm learning [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I've just started wrestling and I'm not the best any advice

Learning spanish [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been living in Mallorca for abput 9 months now. I have a spanish boyfriend and really want to learn the language. I have spoken to people who say they became fluent in spanish within 6 months, I have a software programme which has taught me a bit and my boyfriend is always trying to...

View more questions Search