Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LAMBERT1120 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2007, 06:33 PM
    In Ground Pool and Electric Bill
    This is my first summer owning an inground pool and I got my first electric bill which was about $100 higher than this time last year. My electric company tells me it's because of the swimming pool. Is this normal? Should I expect my electric bill to be this much higher just by running the pool filter? We have been running it 24 hours and now we seet the timer to shut off for 8 hours at night. I'm afraid the pool might turn green if it's not running 24 hours a day.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 18, 2007, 11:25 AM
    You shouldn't need to run the pool 24 hours. 12 hours/day is adequate - the water won't turn green unless you have a problem with the water chemistry. Set the timer to run during the day, as this is when the pool is most likely to be used.
    serendipity pools Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Jun 19, 2007, 08:55 AM
    Good advice ebaines,

12 hours per day should be enough to keep your pool clear, but this is relative to the efficiency of your filter, the flow rate of your water, your ability to balance water chemistry and the amount of plant material your pool is exposed to such as pine trees over the pool.

Having an inground pool is certainly an expense - $100 per month to circulate the water in not unacceptable. If you think this is bad, wait until you get your heating bill if you are using a gas fired heater.

Posting the make, model, year and horsepower of your pump may provide additional information to assist you with finding the lowest cost option for circulating your swimming pool.

I hope this information helps.

Steve Goodale
    Serendipity Pools

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Under above ground pool goes. [ 3 Answers ]

Last year I put up a 15' above-ground pool. I do not have any great level spot in the yard but found an area that worked okay. Unfortunately, it's at the bottom of a slope... so it stays wet easily. This year, I'm wondering what to put under it besides the tarp-thing that came with it. If I made a...

Above ground pool [ 5 Answers ]

I was wondering, can I keep an above ground pool up all winter with no water in it or will it collapse even though it has the braces all around it? Thank you.

Above ground pool [ 2 Answers ]

How do you electrically install an above ground pool

In ground pool [ 1 Answers ]

I have opened(removed cover) my inground pool for the summer and discovered that there are 4 creases in the bottom. Can you assist in an explanation on why this would happen. They are about 3-4 ft long and 1/8" wide in different areas.

Above ground pool [ 1 Answers ]

My above ground pool was dark green, after shocking it it turned into a hazy blue. I started to vacuum and the water coming back into the pool was dirty. Where should I have the pump on as I am vacuuming? I have a doughboy filter and pump.

View more questions Search