Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sshenoy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Social Security Tax (F-1 on CPT)
    Hi
    I am F-1 Student doing my CPT in NY, in my first salary slip social security tax has been deducted, I was wondering if am applicable for this tax. Also if would be great if some one would tell me which and all tax excempts are F-1 students applicable to, any links to prev post or external sites will also be extremely helpful.

Thanks
    SS
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 18, 2007, 10:45 AM
    If you are on CPT under a F-1 visa and your F-1 visa starting on or after 2002, you are NOT LIABLE for Social Security and Medicare taxes.

You need to inform your employer of this fact and ask for a refund of the withheld Social Security and Medicare taxes.

You are, however, liable for federal and state INCOME taxes.
    stamfordres Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2009, 04:02 PM

I have been in a similar situation. My employer never took the taxes off my internship paystub. You can ask for a refund from your employer or social security office for the tax amount later.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 14, 2009, 06:51 PM

Read about filing Form 843: Your U.S. Tax Return: Social Security and Medicare (FICA) Taxes for Non-resident Exempt Individual

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social security tax [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I started working last August during the OPT period after graduation. My H-1 was approved and stated to begin on Nov16th 2004. But my company here has been deducting social security tax right from the start date of employment. I am under the impression that the when you are in OPT and...

Social Security and medicare tax [ 1 Answers ]

I got my H1b on 27th Jan 2006. Before that I worked for 6 months on my OPT. I don't see any social security or medicare tax deducted from my salary on W2 form. What should I do in this case? Is this the employee or employer responsibility to pay these taxes ? I am getting conflicting answer for...

Refund social security tax [ 1 Answers ]

Can I get the refund of social security tax that withhold from my wage if I am an F1 student? Which form should I use? Thanks a lot.

Social security tax and medical tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi The following is my visa status I came to us in aug 2002 under f1 visa and started my opt feb 2005 and I changed my visa to h1b (oct 2005). After going through the IRS website , I came to a conclusion that I am a non resident alien. So I decided to go with 1040NR-EZ. Now I have a...

View more questions Search