Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    creeddc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2007, 06:21 AM
    Vice-President Alvin Barkley
    Why did Vice-President Alvin Barkley only serve one term as VP?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2007, 06:37 AM
    Towards the end of his second term as President, Harry Truman declined to run for a third term. Truman could have run for the third term, since he was exempt from the new legislation limiting the President to two terms. Truman's Vice-President, Alben Barkley, wanted to put his hat in the ring for consideration of the Demoncratic party nomination for President, but was defeated, mosstly it was thought because of his age and failing eye sight. Also, organized labor opposed Barkley, on the premise he was too old to be President.

Mr. Barkley returned to KY but did not fully retire. In 1956 he died of a massive heart attack, while delivering a keynote address at Washington & Lee University.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2007, 05:21 AM
    His age was a factor .He was 71 when he started his term as VEEP . When Truman decided not to run in 1952 Barkley attempted to garner support for a Presidential run . He was not able to do so.

Trivia :

He returned to the Senate and served until his death in 1955 . He dies giving a speech shortly after he declared : "I would rather be a servant in the House of the Lord than to sit in the seats of the mighty." .

Presumably he got his wish
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2007, 02:47 PM
    Died of a heart attack while speaking at the Washington and Lee University Mock Democratic Convention, Lexington, Va. April 30, 1956. Interment at Mt. Kenton Cemetery, Near Paducah, McCracken County, Ky.

BARKLEY, Alben William - Biographical Information

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MOLES TO GRAMS--->>(vice versa).line of equality [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having a lot of trouble with this stuff... im only a middle school student how do you convert moles to grams, grams to moles, and do more complex equations involving these concepts... please respond as soon as possible.. my test is just days away! :confused: I'm quite confused about the...

Broken Tooth! Ad.vice needed. THANK YOO! [ 5 Answers ]

Hey Everyone. I'll just tell you the basics then you can answer my questions at the bottom. Round about October last year (2006), I fell and broke half of one of my front teeth, and a tiny bit on the other front tooth (I looked like a hillybilly) Anyway, I went to the dentist, and he thought...

Lulump\bumb penis shaft, don't think its std.I need ad-vice! [ 4 Answers ]

It all started about 1 year ago around new years eve. I masturbated 3 or 4 times in a row that night and I had like erosion on my penis the next day, I didn't make a big deal out of it knowing it was due to too much masturbation. It left a couple weeks after. Fastforward to 3 weeks ago about, it...

President [ 10 Answers ]

Is it possible for Bill clinton to become president again?

If you were president [ 9 Answers ]

If you were president what would you do to fix the Untied States problems.

View more questions Search