Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dlochart Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Wireless Home Security Questions
    I am a little confused so I would to know if someone here could help me out. We currently have ADT (contract expired, not extended). We are moving to FIOS and our ADT will not work so we are going to go wireless. We like Alarm.com - 100% Wireless Security Systems for Homes & Businesses for the service. They said that if I had an existing alarm system I could by the upgrade package and they would install it OR I could by my own kit and install it myself. This seems to hint to me that at least some of the security devices are interchangeable. I have seen some do it yourself kits at Lowe's / Home Depot.

1) Are sensors and things generic ( within the same protocol)? I damaged a sensor and thought I had to get ADT to replace it since I thought I was tied into their products.

2) My existing system has 3 remote (wireless sensors) but the base is wired into the phone. I assume this is considered a wireless system using POTS ?

As I see it I have Options

1) Get the upgrade kit $299 and purchase a few extra sensors ( I want my windows alarmed ). They will install and set it up.

2) By a do it yourself kit $479 and purchase a few more sensors and I install it myself. At least I get an idea for how it works and I am comfortable fixing/configuring things.

3) (if things are interchangeable) Buy a system from Lowes/HD (price? Hopefully under $200) and then purchase the upgrade kit

Also for $479 am I getting taken for a ride for the following
    # 1 GE Simon 3 Control Panel
    # 1 Alarm.com Wireless Gateway Module (built-in)
    # 2 Wireless door/window sensors
    # 1 Wireless motion sensor
    # 1 Keychain remote control
    # 1 Backup battery (built-in)
    # 1 Siren (built-in)

Thanks!! Sorry for so many questions but I want to make the correct choice. I can run electrical wiring and I am computer programmer so I am not shy when working with wires so unless it requires specific domain knowledge I should be able to install this stuff myself locally.

Doug
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2007, 07:30 PM
    I believe the Simon is a self contained Keypad/Receiver/Control Panel/Communicator. Personally I feel all in one panels are easily rendered useless. Easy to install. ADT uses different manufacturers
    Including Ademco and DSC. I like DSC Check out DSC and check out products
    The 832, is 8 zones, expandable to 32, can add thermostat control, automation board,
    Remotely arm disarm, monitor, control lights, and appliances, keyfobs. Very versitle
    Check eBay, search "DSC" might have to -sony and others
    If you are technically inclined, you will like DSC.
    I even Put a wireless door/window transmitter in my truck and it chimes alarm tone in house. If my door is opened at night, I know inside my house, they don't.
    You can program certain zones to chime 1 of 4 sounds. So you can "hear" what opened.
    dlochart Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2007, 04:46 AM
    Thanks for the insight. I will look into those but I still would like some of my basic questions answered. Can I install any alarm system and then choose any company to monitor it or do I have to use a certain companies equipment?

Thanks
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2007, 06:40 AM
    Monitoring companies love accounts, most handle Ademco, and DSC, and others.
    Any Good company should be able to handle. I would install equipment I like, and find company to monitor, rather than, find monitoring company, and install system that rhey want me to have, or one that many installers can handle. Or one where they get the best "Bottom Line".
    Your Questions:
    1) From what I have seen ADT doesn't make alarm Panels, They may use Ademco or DSC
    And put their name on it, Provide picture I will tell you who makes it.
    2)It is a wireless system, Has built in communicator so it can dial to monitoring company.
    They usually have at least 1 hardwired zone. You could use for telco tamper, loop is with
    Phone wires , so if cut, siren sounds immediately, might as well tamper the siren, as well.
    Like you say in choice #3, siren, battery, communicator, key pad. If you must go with this type. Use keyfobs to arm and disarm, and have it programmed for instant.(No Entry Delay. It is during entry delay system is vulnurable.
    Dennis777 Posts: 478, Reputation: 124

Jun 17, 2007, 07:12 AM
    Hello.

Statmando has covered most of the basics with you already so I will answer some of your questions.

1) Sensors are brand and model selective so you have to use the same brand detector and model. Example, DSC has 3 models of wireless detectors that have been used by the same basic control system. Each model is an upgrade from the last. Better reliability, longer battery life, different frequency ranges last but not least better device coding.

2) Most alarm companies will monitor your system but they are going to charge you to program their information into the system so they can monitor it. In most cases its better to cut a deal with a local alarm company to install the system and set it up for monitoring. They know the tricks to make the system work properly the first time.

Good Luck
    Dennis777
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2007, 07:36 AM
    I repair the systems they install. Big companies cannot afford to hire top dollar technicians.
    Last System I installed, I GAVE to big company to monitor, Customer wanted me to add sensor so if temperature went above certain temperature, monitoring company could notify of possible Air Conditioner failure. Unnoticed, mold can do serious damage.
    Condemned 1 unit because of this. They said they can't do it, That they work with Ademco.
    I reminded them that Sensor was also Ademco. The Big companies are about GUARANTEED to make money. Fine tuning is something they don't have time for.
    They also usually don't use End of line resistors.
    They are going to charge for programming anyway.
    How old was last alarm guy you saw? Hard to be 20 years old and have 30 years experience? I would check the smaller companies.
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2007, 07:43 AM
    Dennis, just saw your post, as someone having 30 years experience, you know the tricks these kids don't, and am sure you can install right first time. The difference experience makes is unmeasureable.
    Big companies will sell self contained, I advise otherwise, not because of profit, but security.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Questions about social security number [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering if someone could answer these simple questions, How much does it cost to get a new id, like for example if you lost your id to get a new one do they charge or.. And If someone loses there social security card, and doesn't know there number by heart, how can they renew and...

Buying new wireless security system [ 3 Answers ]

I just purchased a really nice wireless surveillance system from www.jetstreamsecurity.com and was wondering if anyone could tell me if there are any flaws in owning a wireless surveillance systems? Can they be hacked into with by a neighbor, or can they be tapped into with other hardware. I just...

How do I set up a wireless home network? [ 3 Answers ]

We have splashed out and bought a 2nd computer for our grandson who comes to stay with us most weekends, and we would like to organise it so that both his PC and our PC are wirelessly linked together and can both access the internet (ours can at present, but it uses a cable supplied by NTL). ...

Wireless Security [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently installed a Linksys WRT54GX2 router. Connected to two (2) PCs running Windows XP SP2 and one (1) running Windows 2000. I have set up MAC filtering but nothing in addition. I have read where Windows 2000 is not compatible with WPA. Do I just set-up with WEP and MAC filtering...

Wireless network security [ 4 Answers ]

I have just gotten a router and set up a wireless net environment in my home. As I live in an apartment, I think it can be easily picked up by anyone. Therefore, I was wondering if there was any way or program I could use to make it secure. Also, I rather not use the WEP provided because it...

View more questions Search