Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stacia_m123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2007, 03:45 PM
    Sound on my computer stopped working after installing xp
    I'm trying to find out how to get the sound on my computer to work again. I used to have windows 2000 and the sound worked fine... now that I have installed windows xp... no sound. Help!
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2007, 04:19 PM
    I hope this is helpful. This info is from computerhope.com.

Windows XP

1. Open the Control panel

2. Open the "Sounds and Audio Devices" icon.

3. Verify the "Place volume icon in the taskbar" checkbox is checked. If this option is not available or is grayed out, skip to the next section of this document.

4. If you were able to check this box, click OK and close out of this window and the Control Panel.

5. Double-click the sound icon in the systray and verify that all the sound volumes are mid-way or higher.

If this doesn't work, try this. This is to verify your installed drivers:

1. Open the Windows Device Manager

2. Verify there are no conflicts or errors listed anywhere in Device Manager. If conflicts exist skip down to conflicts section.

3. Verify no other devices are listed. If other devices are listed skip down to other devices section.

4. Verify that your "Sound, video and game controllers" category is listed, if not skip down to the missing sound card section.

5. If no conflicts or other devices are listed and your sound card is listed with no conflicts, skip to the next section.

Here is the website if you just want to refer to there: Missing or lost sound in Windows 95 / 98 / ME / 2K / XP.
    nasigoreng Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2007, 10:19 PM
    I think your sound driver can only work in 2000, not in xp.
    The only way, you must install audio driver software
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2007, 12:56 AM
    I think you need to download drivers for XP, try this link >>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Xbox stopped working! [ 6 Answers ]

I got a new Xbox less than a year ago and when I was watching a DVD it froze and then said that it couldn't read the disk. It won't read music CDs or games. What can I do! (I've already tried hitting it repeatedly:D )

Chandelier Stopped Working [ 2 Answers ]

I have a chandelier in my entry. It has two switches - one upstairs and one downstairs. Neither switch will turn the chandelier on anymore. It worked one day and the next it didn't! I have reset the breakers three times. I have looked in the attic where it is attached to the ceiling, but the...

AC compressor stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Amana central AC that the compressor just stopped coming on after a severe rain storm the fan also has a hard time starting but will go if you help it. The thermostat is working and the ac turns on but no compressor. I get 230 volts on the red and yellow wires coming directly out of the...

RCA Television sound stopped working [ 9 Answers ]

I normally have my TV connected to a amplifier and out to the speakers for sound. Well, today while watching the news, it was working fine and then suddenly the only sound I was receiving was static through the speakers. I changed the channel and got the same thing. I turned off the amplifier,...

Sound card stopped working. [ 3 Answers ]

My sound card has 'expired'. I recently installed webcam and have been communicating successfully (audio and visual) for some weeks. Suddenly my sound card 'went'. Attached speakers are okay. Please help if you can.

View more questions Search