Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mr_Big Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2005, 07:10 AM
    Investments - Web addresses?
    Hi.

I'm looking for a website that gives details on top savings returns on, lets say, deposit accounts. I'm located in Dublin, but most probably be moving to Minnesota (St Paul) next year, and wanted to look at banks providing good returns on deposits.

Also, does anyone know what the rate of DIRT is in the states?

Cheers in advance,
    BigE.
    mikestorm Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

Dec 17, 2005, 12:39 PM
    Well, the holy grail of websites that provide free info what you're asking is:

Bankrate.com

Bankrate compares rates nationwide for:

• Mortgage rates
    • Auto Loan Rates
    • Credit Card Rates (and CC deals)
    • CD Rates
    • Money Market Rates
    • Certain Investments

In addition to showing you the best nationwide rates in all of the above categories, they have a bunch of useful calculators. The credit card section is particularly useful. They'll show you the top credit card deals specifically based on your spending habits (carry a balance or pay off each month).

As their motto says "Objective, comprehensive, free!"
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 17, 2005, 02:50 PM
    Rates
    One rule to remember if you have large amounts of funds to invest is normally if you sit down with the accounts manager you can get better rates than is listed. We would never just walk in and take the rate they offer.

Also no matter who has the best right now in 3 months it will all be different also.

Plus never over look what I call the home town banks, not the mega banks they often can offer good rates since they also don't have some of the major losses either.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Dec 17, 2005, 06:26 PM
    Bankrate.com
    While bankrate.com can be a useful site, from which to gleen financial information, their quotes may not be all that accurate. Just a few minutes ago I pulled up their overnight mortgage rates @5.76% for a 30 fixed rate loan and 5.36% for a 15 year. Their added disclaimer was: some of these rates may include "points". Points are prepaid interest that buys down the note rate. There is also a customary origination fee (1%) that offsets the cost of keeping the doors open. Current pricing for a 30 year loan with no points or origination is 6.25%-6.375%. When you pull up a rate comparison for your area the prices are all over the map. Mortgage lenders all get their money from the same pot. The pricing for this pot comes from GNMA auctions. I have tried to find a (free) link to get GNMA prices but have not found one. I appologize for digressing from from the topic of the original thread, but I just want to scream every time I see their mortgage rates come on the TV. I do mortgages for a living. Figures don't lie but liars can figure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes on Retirement investments [ 1 Answers ]

My spouse and I are doing some retirement planning and we need to compare the financial difference between drawing out payments from one of the following two investment scenarios. 1. Investing a lump sum $400,000 into a conservative retirement portfolio at age 65 and drawing off the investment...

Moving to India - Tax question on investments [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I will be moving to India in summer of 2008. I have close to 50K invested in mutual funds. What are the issues I need to worry about in terms of taxes? Would it be better to move the investment to India to avoid complications? This would not be my preferred choice since some of the funds...

Year-End Asset Summary (Investments) [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: We have $1029 in an investment company. This amount is divided 1/3rd each into Global Funds, Value Funds and Income funds. There is a value increase of $46 at the year end. Where should I show this amount? Should it be shown in Form 1099-INT or Form 1099-DIV or any other. Thanks in advance...

URL addresses [ 2 Answers ]

How does one find out the (numerical) URL or IP address of a particular website or e-mail address? Thanks much, John Mackenzie

View more questions Search