Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    randomguy19 Posts: 81, Reputation: 3

Jun 15, 2007, 11:37 PM
    Excessive Exercise For Weight Loss?
    Hello all.. I'm a 19 year old male and I know it's not healthy to loose more then 2 lbs a week but I'm going to aim for 4-5 lbs a week. But is this VERY dangerous?

My body needs 2200 calories a day to maintain my weight, so instead I'm going to eat 1200 calories which is 1000 calorie difference and over the course of a week will add to 2 LBS lost.

Then I'm going to exercise 3 times a day. In the morning I'm going to ride my bike around for 1-2 hours. Then around noon I'm going to go to the gym and exercise 500 calories worth. Then I'm going to go back to the gym in the evening to exercise another 500 calories.

I have a lot of time, it's summer and I want to become as skinny as I use to be last year. I weigh 180 and I want to get back down to 150-155. I'm 5'11". Then I plan to weight list and gain muscle. At this rate it will take me about 5-6 weeks. Any ideas?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 15, 2007, 11:48 PM
    It is not healthy and to even try you would need to be under a doctors care to monitor your health.

Weight not taken off properly will hurt muscles, put strains on heart and other organs, and can actually cause much more serious issues plus allow the weight to come back on much more quick.
    1busymaniam Posts: 29, Reputation: 6

Jun 18, 2007, 06:44 AM
    randomguy ,
    Don't see that you need much advice from this board . You have a very ambitious plan . Plan the work then work the plan ! I didn't see any mention of drinking water but I am sure you did not overlook water consumption .
    Good luck... Russell
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Jun 18, 2007, 07:09 AM
    The only thing you're going to do with this plan is hurt yourself, potentially VERY badly. In addition to what Chuck says, you will end up basically destroying what muscles you do have, and your digestive system will be so out of whack from this that you're going to end up gaining a lot of weight, and you probably won't be able to take it back off.

The exercise load that you're talking about is EXTREMELY high, and is extremely dangerous to your body. The fact that you're doing it every day means that your muscles (and more importantly your tendons and ligaments) don't get a chance to rest and heal up. When you're sore the day after a workout, that's because you have micro-tears in your muscles... your body repairing these (in muscles) is what makes you get stronger. It takes time and energy to repair them (and considerably more of both for the tendons and ligaments), and you're giving your body neither. Those irritating sorenesses get worse VERY quickly if you don't give them a chance to heal.

You already know that your plan is a bad idea. Go with that.

Don't worry about losing the weight all at once... Forget your plan (every bit of it) and start lifting weights now... start with low weights and work up at a reasonable pace. Do your lifting aerobically... keep the heart rate up throughout, using large muscle groups. Three sets of ten exercises done in an aerobic circuit will take you 35-45 minutes, depending on the weights and reps. Three times a week, and you'll see a huge difference very quickly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weight loss [ 6 Answers ]

I want to ask about some information for "Himalayan diet breakthough".I am thinking to try it,but bifore that,I want to know is it work or no.May be I could finde some one who used bifore and to give me some idea there is use of it or no.I am looking for some medicine to help me to lose weight.I am...

Weight loss [ 5 Answers ]

If you're calorie counting? How do you know how much to count? Total calories? Count calories per serving? Which?

How do I loss more of my weight? [ 3 Answers ]

OK I'm 14 and I'm like 218 pounds and I like this guy but he doesn't see me they way I want he only goes for my friends that are really skiny and I want to know how to loos my leg, belly, back, and arm fat Will someone hepl me...

GAIN weight with exercise [ 3 Answers ]

Has anyone ever gained weight (not talking about muscle weight gain) when exercising? I have tried exercise programs numerous times and every single time I do, I gain weight. I have been walking on a treadmill for 30 min. at least 6 x a week, in addition to riding an exercise bicycle for 8-10...

Weight Loss [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in this bet to see who can loose the most weight the fastest... and I really need help on finding the fastest way to loose a lot more weigth than the other people! HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

View more questions Search