Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjohnston Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2005, 05:44 PM
    Brand new kitten care... what do I do?
    Our 8 month old cat just had two kittens this morning, unfortunately one was stillborn, but the other survived. Of course, I am now paranoid about this one. Never been through this before, is there something I should be doing for this kitten?
    Wondering if I should move him/her from the corner of my closet (not the most convenient location) so we can watch it and the mother?

Will the mother cat smother the kitten?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.. I know nothing about this (other than this kitten is very cute! :) )

Julie
    run foxy run Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2005, 09:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jjohnston
    Our 8 month old cat just had two kittens this morning, unfortunately one was stillborn, but the other survived. Of course, I am now paranoid about this one. Never been through this before, is there something I should be doing for this kitten?
    Wondering if I should move him/her from the corner of my closet (not the most convenient location) so we can watch it and the mother?

Will the mother cat smother the kitten?

Any advice is greatly appreciated..I know nothing about this (other than this kitten is very cute!! :) )

Julie
    My cat was 8mounths to I also need help
    minni Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2005, 11:06 PM
    Brand new kitten care... what do I do?
    Hi,

I got my kitty when he was 4 weeks old, and I was paranoid about caring properly for him too. He's probably going to need a bottle for a couple of weeks, then you can start moving him to soft foods. I gave mine a combination of the two for about two weeks, and then he started eating more soft foods, which he does to this day. I tried hard food with him, but he stuck up his nose at it. If you want to train yours to eat it, however, soften it up a little with water to begin with.

Now here's what you may need to do if he doesn't poop right away. Too. If his mother is neglecting him, you may need to get a soft cloth dampened with warm water, and gently rub his rectum with it a few times. Mother cats usually lick their kittens to get them started, and if his mom isn't doing it, you might need to step in. Also, occasionally, take another piece of cloth, wet it again with warm water (not too warm) and stroke his body gently with it. This also simulates the grooming that mother cats normally provide for their kittens.

It's best to get your kitten toilet trained right away. I bought a small litter box, filled it with soft clumping litter, and put him on it every time I even thought he was going to pee. I was lucky... my kitty picked it up within the first day, and has never had an accident. It's instinctive for them to dig in sand anyway, so you are just reinforcing the habit. Make sure you clean their box regularly. The cleaner you keep that box, the cleaner your cat will stay as well.

Lastly, (and this was a very important lesson for me) make sure that you brush him every day. He's little right now, so get a very soft grooming brush, and get him used to it from the get-go. Hairballs can form very quickly, so brush him regularly to get out all the excess hair. Any hair that you are removing is hair that your cat is not eating when he grooms himself. Be very gently when you are brushing, otherwise your cat could develop an aversion to it.

I hope some of this helps you. My cat is the love of my life, as yours may soon be with you. Good luck with him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What brand air conditioner is the best [ 1 Answers ]

I am considering buying a new air conditioner unit for my house. The current one is at least 13 years old and keeps giving me problems. Which brand is the best?

Where shall I buy online and what brand [ 7 Answers ]

Its very interesting I have been using an automatic Nikon D-200 camera, that I purchased online from Microglobe- retailer of photographic equipment in London UK, result is excellent, but someone advised me to check manual one, and it would return you better result than automatic, I am confused, is...

Best Wireless Brand ? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, does anyone have any solid experiences of wireless access points (or routers) with good reliability. I personally have had problems with D-link and therefore will not use these again for a while, but does anyone have good experiences they would like to share? TIA Stu

Kitten Development and Care! (Help me!) [ 3 Answers ]

Hey all, As I've posted previously my cat had kittens last week. Luckily three out of the four kittens have homes that they will be going to once they are old enough. But until then... what do I do? I mean, they are eight days old now and are starting to open their eyes. They are so cute, but I...

View more questions Search