Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Jun 15, 2007, 12:40 PM
    Anyone seen this notation before?
    I was reading an article (The (Other) Secret: Scientific American) and they used some strange notation when they gave magnetic field strengths for the human brain and the earth.

For example, the article says that the earth's magnetic field is but I've never seen the notation before.

From (Earth's magnetic field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia): the earth's magnetic field is somewhere between "less than 30 microteslas ... to over 60 microteslas".
    I'm not sure how one would get such a value from that notation.
    How does equal somewhere between 0.00003 and 0.00006?

Is anyone familiar with this notation? Or does anyone have any plausible explanations for how it works?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2007, 12:46 PM
    Looks like it's meant to be 10^-5, but they've used some weird way of rendering it, i get a square (missing character) instead of the! You describe.

gal? :/ that's not any notation I've seen before either...
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Jun 15, 2007, 01:03 PM
    Ok. I think I tend to agree with Capuchin after reading it again. Even though 10^-5 is outside the range given by wikipedia I do think that's what they were going for. The key is that they say is 10 orders of magnitude larger than . It's strange that I got! But Capuchin got a box because the html is actually
    HTML Code:
    10<sup>5 </sup>
    at least for me.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2007, 01:09 PM
    10^-5 is the same order of magnitude as the wikipedia numbers. They weren't being accurate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Extended notation [ 3 Answers ]

My child has been given a maths problem in his homework which asks him to express a 6 figure number in extended notation, we don't understand. Can anyone help.Thanks :confused:

Interval Notation [ 3 Answers ]

2<2x+4<10 The answer I got is: 2>2x+4 or 2x+4<10 -2>2x or 2x<6 -1>x or x<3

Interval Notation [ 1 Answers ]

I completed the problem the same way I did the other one. I think I followed the right steps. |2x-2|>4 -4>2x-2>4 add 2 to both sides -2>2x>6 divide all numbers by 2 -1>x>3 is my answer

Interval Notation [ 5 Answers ]

|5x-1|<11 Above is the problem. This is my answer. 5x+1<11 5x+1-1<11-1 5x<10 x<10

How Do You Do Scientific Notation? [ 3 Answers ]

HELP! I don't know how to do this scientific notation stuff. Look, I AM NOT searching on this thing for ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS. I am searching this place for GUIDANCE with these questions. Just PLEASE tell me how you do this and how you get all these stinkin' zeroes! Here's the things that are...

View more questions Search