Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kyler2776 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2005, 12:04 PM
    PVC pipe to kitchen drain/strainer leak
    How do I securely fasten the connection from the pvc pipe to the strainer? I have the plastic stopper inside the strainer nut that screws into the drain tightly but water trickles from the connection. The pvc pipe can slide up and down when the nut to the strainer is securely fastened. What do I do?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2005, 03:00 PM
    I am not sure I completely understand you problem. Do you have the ferrule, a little plastic or rubber ring, between the nut and the threaded pipe? When compressed between the nut and threaded pipe, it squeezes down on the wall of the PVC to seal. If anything has a little nick in it, you will not get a good seal.
    Kyler2776 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2005, 07:51 PM
    I have the plastic rubber ring with a taper on it. Currently I have the taper going away from the thredded pipe. Is the PVC pipe supposed to be loose going into the strainer?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 10, 2005, 04:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyler2776
    I have the plastic rubber ring with a taper on it. Currently I have the taper going away from the thredded pipe. Is the PVC pipe supposed to be loose going into the strainer?
    You have the gasket on backwards. The taper goes into the thread on the fitting.
    The plastic tapered gasket should have the flat side against the compression nut . As you tighten the compression nut this compresses the gasket against the PVC pipe and seals it. It should not be loose. Good luck. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaky kitchen drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My kitchen sink drain pipe leaks where the black U-shaped (p-trap?) screws onto the straight pipe from the sink. I've read that there is supposed to be a plastic ring or fitting that goes between the two pipes inside, and then plumbers tape on the threads where it screws together. Is...

Leak in PVC Drain Pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I recently refurbished the powder room (1/2 bath) in the main hall of our house. Everything went well until I had to deal with the pedestal sink. After some struggle, I finally got the sink attached properly to the wall and the pedestal bolted to the floor. However, after I turned on the water,...

Washer Drain pipe leak [ 5 Answers ]

My washer Drain had a pretty serious leak. It is commomed up with a drain from the suite above me right after the drain trap. The day that it leaked the drains were augered as a part of routine building maintenance. The leak stopped on it's own and hasn't leaked since. Can anyone suggest some...

Replacement shower drain strainer [ 6 Answers ]

Our tiled in shower in the basement has a very rusty drain strainer (and rusty drain underneath it). I've looked for a replacement strainer, but none of them comes large enough to fit. The old strainer is 5 7/8 " in diameter. It has OLYMPIC stamped on it. Can I find a replacement? If not, do...

Kitchen drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

In a sink located in the second floor apt kitchen the drain line under the sink draining away from the sink pitches upward into the soil pipe causing the sink to back up. What should do to remedy this? Should I also remove the old soil stack going up to the roof because of possible blockage in the...

View more questions Search